Talk

Advanced search

Best knitting book for beginners (adults)

(7 Posts)
GardenGeek Sun 11-Dec-16 15:54:27

Have been looking at knitting books.

Interested in ones which explain the different stitches, and/or the basics of straight knitting and in the round.

Had a go at basic fair isle the other day so a fair isle pattern chart book would be interesting too.

Which are your favourite go-to books?

LunaLoveg00d Sun 11-Dec-16 16:00:38

To be honest, I find You Tube far better than a book.

GardenGeek Sun 11-Dec-16 18:02:38

I have been learning from youtube, and the internet. But I find you have to know what you are looking for to find it.

Thats why I was interested in a book which maybe had all the stitches in so you could see the different types.

Or the colour fair isle charts because they are lovely.

Obviously if there are no good books, no point in getting them grin

tribpot Sun 11-Dec-16 18:14:03

I found Knitting for Dummies to be a great book when I was first getting back into knitting - loads of really clear diagrams and goes through everything you're wanting to learn.

You're right that on YouTube you need to know what you're looking for - loads of videos that someone seems to have shot using a 6-year-old iPhone in a wind tunnel! (Well, maybe not loads but you know what I mean).

I think one of the best video teachers is Liat Gat of KnitFreedom. She also does a good line in video courses but they're not cheap.

I also like Very Pink Knits - that's a link to her 'basics' playlist but you can see she has many others when you know what it is you want to make first.

GardenGeek Sun 11-Dec-16 22:22:24

Thanks I will go have a look at that; and those videos grin

cakesandphotos Sat 17-Dec-16 20:43:34

Another vote for Very Pink Knits on YouTube. She's clear and easy to follow. She does basic stitches as well as follow along tutorials. I taught myself to knit with YouTube and I subscribed to a knitting magazine for the first couple of months too, they come with great pictures, simple patterns and freebies. I expect there will be a subscription deal in the new year

MadisonAvenue Sat 17-Dec-16 20:52:07

YouTube is excellent, and I also love The Knitting Book, it's a Dorling Kindersley one. I've found The Knitter's Bible and the Knitty Gritty series to be useful too.
All come with projects/patterns as well as guides to teach the various techniques.

I only started knitting at the beginning of the year and hadn't realized how addictive it can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now