Talk

Advanced search

Help!I need some ideas from you crafty people.

(11 Posts)
Ditsy4 Mon 28-Nov-16 06:55:15

We are decorating a Christmas tree for our choir. We are singing at a Hospice Concert and beforehand the charity are asking groups to buy a tree and decorate it. Great I thought I'll get involved in that. I was thinking baubles with music on from the carols we are singing, and an angel holding a banner like Joy to World or some such thing. Some large felt notes and scrolls of music with red ribbons to hold them. So all black and white for the music and red as it is our accent colour. Sorted.

Now I find out the trees are going to be outside.😱
They are going to place 40 trees in the grounds of the Cathedral like a walk way. I think it will look beautiful but how to waterproof the decorations. Do you have any ideas? I live in the north so when it rains it really pours. I'm going to Hobbycraft this afternoon to buy some foam balls to cover in Decopatch music or photocopied music sheets. Would PVA work? Or sticky back plastic. I'm not going till 4 pm so hoping some of you clever people can help. 😘 I'm quite crafty/ arty so that side isn't a problem. They need to be made by the 9th Dec.

SoupDragon Mon 28-Nov-16 09:17:36

A waterproof varnish would better than PVA I think.

A DIY store might have it cheaper than hobbycraft

Ditsy4 Mon 28-Nov-16 23:53:08

Thanks soup dragon. I asked at Hobbycraft and they do sell a spray adhesive but she couldn't gaurantee that it would worked. She had made an outside shelf covered in PVA and said it hasn't shown signs of aging yet. Going to try that and a can of varnish which I have and compare.

SoupDragon Tue 29-Nov-16 09:54:54

I just imagined that PVA might go sticky when wet, although I can't say I've ever tried it.

Yes, try some and spray it with water, see what happens. I guess it doesn't have to last a very long time.

PetraStrorm Tue 29-Nov-16 10:24:21

If you've got any clear-drying wood glue, that works well. The stuff you'll find in B&Q, places like that.

PetraStrorm Tue 29-Nov-16 10:26:59

I once mixed a load of tiny beads with wood glue, and slapped it on the side of a pair of trainers (teenage creativity mixed with lack of funds - I used what I could pilfer from my dad's DIY cupboard grin ). It dried clear and lasted for ages.

Ditsy4 Tue 29-Nov-16 18:05:33

Oooh thanks Petra. I could go to B&Q tomorrow as it is my day off tomorrow😀

Marcipex Tue 29-Nov-16 22:20:21

PVA liquefies quickly in water, so don't use that. Good luck smile

Marcipex Tue 29-Nov-16 22:22:06

I think Hobbycraft have clear plastic tree baubles that you can fill with glitter or cottonwood etc. Sheet music cut into staves could be coiled inside.

Ditsy4 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:33:59

Thanks Marcipex. I have remembered there is some Yacht varnish somewhere I bet that would do. I could Decopatch them then varnish. I'm going to make the angel tomorrow. I'm tempted to make her dress from a plastic bag. I have a dark red one 😊

imnotalpharius Tue 29-Nov-16 23:41:06

Decopatch do a very good varnish, it's hardy and waterproof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now