Daft question alert: are rotator cutters supposed to rotate? What am I doing wrong?

(7 Posts)
ThursFriHappy Sun 06-Nov-16 21:37:08

Bought one with a mat, but not sure if it's me using it incorrectly.

The blade doesn't' rotate while cutting, and though I use it against a ruler, it doesn't cut 'straight', so I get jagged edges on the fabric.

And I almost cut my fingers off. Ouch.
It wasn't cheap, about £9, so what am I doing wrong?

ThursFriHappy Sun 06-Nov-16 21:44:04

I am using it away from me, not towards me.

mineallmine Sun 06-Nov-16 21:54:28

Yes it should definitely rotate as you run it along the ruler and you should get a lovely straight line. There'a a bit of a knack to cutting with a ruler and cutter. You always cut away from you, hold the cutter at a 45 degree angle and tight against the ruler.

What brand of rotary cutter is it? I have an Olfa and it has a black knob in the centre to tighten the wheel. Maybe this is too tight on yours and is stopping the blade from turning? Have you had a look on youtube? People put the most random things on there, you may find your brand of rotary cutter explained.

lljkk Sun 06-Nov-16 22:04:25

great reply by mineallmine -- I'll second all that. <<Luffs my Rotary cutter has never tried to kill me either>>

ThursFriHappy Mon 07-Nov-16 19:03:22

Thanks both, I'll have a look at it and have another go. Without having to find it, it begins with X and I bought it from The Range.
And I'll have a look on YouTube.

temporarilyjerry Tue 08-Nov-16 15:29:57

We ordered some and work and when they arrived, my colleague checked how sharp they were - with her finger. Ouch! Don't do that, OP.

temporarilyjerry Tue 08-Nov-16 15:39:24

at work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now