Talk

Advanced search

What yarn do I need for this?

(7 Posts)
AlbusPercival Tue 01-Nov-16 09:05:03

I want to make this pattern for DH

The yarn is no longer available. I need 8 balls for his size. What type of yarn do I need and how much?

Thanks in advance

LunaLoveg00d Tue 01-Nov-16 09:08:25

If it's advising a 6mm needle/hook I'd say probably Aran but you'd need to crochet a test piece to check.

NannyR Tue 01-Nov-16 09:22:12

That yarn has a yardage of 141 grammes and 243 metres and it's 100% acrylic. I would go to a yarn shop and see if they have anything with a similar yardage and that should work for the pattern.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 01-Nov-16 09:26:13

I'm hesitant about answering as I don't have a Harry Potter name... grin

This website can be used to find suitable yarn substitutions. As Luna says it's an Aran weight yarn so I would advise perhaps going to a shop and finding a yarn you like and seeing if they will either let you return any unused balls or put a couple of extra balls aside for you if you need more. It will probably cost more £/ball than buying online but you don't have the annoyance of either running out and not getting the same dye lot if you order more or being left with extra yarn.

I would definitely do a tension swatch and then I'd probably buy the suggested 8 balls to start with but have two or three more as back up if needed.

Jinglebells99 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:27:37

yarnsub.com/yarns/red_heart/super_tweed
This website gives substitutes for different discontinued yarns. Says it's Aran weight and gives suggestions.

SoupDragon Tue 01-Nov-16 09:32:56

This gives the yardage of the super tweed so you cacheck to make sure you get the right number of skeins of the replacement yarn.

AlbusPercival Tue 01-Nov-16 09:44:14

Amazing thanks all. Will stage a raid on hobby craft

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now