Talk

Advanced search

Finding test knitters

(8 Posts)
Inthenick Wed 26-Oct-16 15:41:53

Does anyone know where on earth I can find test knitters and knitting tech editors? I need help to complete my patterns but am fairly new to the designing of my own patterns. I have contacted knitting bloggers and pattern designers to see if they can do this stuff by commission as I had no idea who to ask but they all say to use a tech editor and google is not helping me! So many people are excellent knitters and might be happy to test knit for payment but I can't find these people. I'm thinking of putting a sign in my local cafe at this point.

RiaOverTheRainbow Wed 26-Oct-16 16:10:27

If you don't need your knitters to be local I imagine there would be a number of interested MNers. What sort of projects do you have in mind?

sleepyhead Wed 26-Oct-16 16:12:08

I have a friend who does this freelance. If you pm me I'll give you her contact details - she might know of other people if she doesn't have the time.

Inthenick Wed 26-Oct-16 16:29:21

Thank you Sleepyhead, I PM'ed you.

Ria, I don't care where the knitters are, I was getting help from a lady in the US on my first pattern but I didn't feel the work was great and the postage cost was huge getting my test knit stuff back so anywhere in the UK would be a huge improvement on that!

I have patterns designed for a few items and ideas for a few other items that I haven't had time to work on yet but its a slow process and if I can get a pro to help me tidy and fix problems in them I'd be thrilled!

SocksRock Wed 26-Oct-16 16:30:17

I do test knitting occasionally, what kind of patterns?

Jinglebells99 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:37:07

Have you tried Ravelry? Lots of designers find testers that way. Often people will test in exchange for a free pattern.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 01-Nov-16 10:34:12

Yes, ask on Ravelry. We managed to gather together a large number of test knitters for a project, a couple of years back and then we worked with them via a Yahoo Group.

Testing Pool Group here:

www.ravelry.com/groups/the-testing-pool

For TEs, again either ask on Ravelry or ask existing publishers. I tend to work with TEs who are employed by the magazines/publishers who publish my stuff, so have no real say in the TEs - but they have always been brilliant.

dingledel Wed 02-Nov-16 14:42:50

I have knitted for a few different outlets over the years and have also tested and made alterations to patterns for one of the designers.

If you are still looking, please feel free to PM me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now