Talk

Advanced search

How to fix a frayed seam?

(6 Posts)
Katymac Sat 15-Oct-16 09:47:25

I bought a very cheap top because the back seam had split & the material had frayed

I have enough room to fix it without it being too tight

But tbh I don't know how best to fix it so it doesn't continue to fray

I am having a sewing day so I may be back with more (I have successfully lengthened a pair of knitted trousers....now that was a job)

Flossyfloof Sun 16-Oct-16 08:16:52

Clear nail varnish?

Microwaste Sun 16-Oct-16 08:21:27

I'm sure I've seen previously a fray-stop spray is available. what is the fabric? I'm assuming the fraying edge is now on the inside of the garment? Could you sew it as a French seam (where the fabric edges are completely enclosed)? Or sew the seam edges together with a zig zag or similar edging stitch?

Microwaste Sun 16-Oct-16 08:22:33

Oh, or try just trimming the edges with pinking shears. It'd depend on what your fabric is and how much room you have in the seam

samecardoverandover Sun 16-Oct-16 08:53:23

I have been buying this for years. it works really well. Or if you have an overlocker you could just wizz over that tiny bit?

Katymac Sun 16-Oct-16 10:59:14

I used a stitch on my machine which looked a bit like over locking on each edge then did a french seam

The overlocker was threaded with the wrong colour & I wasn't feeling strong enough to re-thread it hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now