Making a blanket from babygros

(6 Posts)
Sophia1984 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:54:01

Hi everyone,
Has anyone made a patchwork blanket or toys from babygros/sleepsuits - I have several from when DS was first born that I'd like to use but don't know if the stretchy material would make it difficult. I'm also a lot more comfortable sewing by hand than on machine (though I know this might take ages!) Any suggested patterns or other ideas for what I could make?

Thanks!

AlbusPercival Thu 29-Sep-16 13:57:22

Yes, I made a patchwork of squares, quilted it with a fleece back. DNephew loves it.

The stretch Jersey is a pain to do anything more complicated IMHO

Tinklypoo Thu 29-Sep-16 13:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Summerholsdoingmyheadin Tue 04-Oct-16 12:32:35

I am planning to make one very soon. I will just interface all the stretchy squares before stitching together.

Summerholsdoingmyheadin Tue 04-Oct-16 12:33:17

I also made a teddy from babygros and interfacing all the fabric worked a treat.

RNBrie Tue 04-Oct-16 12:48:40

I used to make these for people for a living and it's a lovely thing to have!

Iron on interfacing first will stop the fabric stretching so your pieces will stay in shape (I use this one www.fabricland.co.uk/product/white-lightweight-iron-on-interfacing-code-208/)

Then cut out your pieces, I just did squares, 5 or 6 inch squares depending on the finished quilt size. Sew them together, add a border, sandwich with some wadding and bind.

You can definitely hand sew the whole thing but I never had the patience!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now