Talk

Advanced search

Lidl's silvercrest sewing machine?

(6 Posts)
JenLindleyShitMom Sat 17-Sep-16 20:11:44

I'm in the market for a machine. I'm a beginner so I have no idea what I worth the money and what isn't. I saw one in Lidl's brochure for £59.99. It's silvercrest which my dad tells me is Lidl's own electrical brand.

Does anyone have any knowledge of them or could recommend a not too pricey machine for me please?

JenLindleyShitMom Mon 19-Sep-16 15:40:23

Bumping.

RatherBeIndoors Tue 20-Sep-16 10:38:01

I have no experience of Lidl machines, but have had years decades of reliable use from a very basic Janome model. I finally upgraded to a fancy version fairly recently, but the old one is still running. May be worth looking at their basic range?

You will probably need a machine that does: straight stitch, zigzag stitch, forward and back, and buttonholes (almost all machines will but it's something to look at). Your machine should come with a standard foot, buttonhole foot and zipper foot. It may come with more but those are the ones you'll really need. Some bobbins are top-loading, some are front-loading - with top-loading it's slightly easier to see whether you've threaded it correctly but there's not much different IMO.

If there's a sewing shop anywhere near you, they should let you go and try a few different ones out to see which suits you. It's also good to get to know them as that's where you'd probably get it serviced! Good luck, and I hope you have lots of fun with whichever one you go for smile

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Tue 20-Sep-16 10:39:45

yes I bought one of these for my daughter - I'm no expert sower but for what I used it for it works very well and I'm extremely pleased with it. I've bought cheap sewing machines before that were awful, but this one is a good buy!

JenLindleyShitMom Tue 20-Sep-16 11:39:46

Thanks both! I think I'll go for the silvercrest and see how I get on.

DorisDay88 Thu 21-Sep-17 12:22:29

Bumping as I can see these are on sale again from Sunday and I'm very tempted!
Has anyone got any experience of these machines please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now