Talk

Advanced search

Sewing question re coat alteration

(6 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Tue 13-Sep-16 23:22:14

I have just bought a 60/40 wool/polyester mix coat but having very short arms I need to get the sleeves taken up. Last year I had a wool mix coat and had the sleeves altered at the dry cleaners who are usually very good but this left one sleeve feeling twisted inside and just a bit bulky. Are wool coats very tricky to alter or did I just get unlucky? Would I be best just to suffer the too long sleeves (seems a shame when it is otherwise perfect. I don't want to make the same mistake with my new coat as it was very expensive.

I would appreciate some advice.

TIA

RaisingSteam Wed 14-Sep-16 17:05:27

It sounds unlucky to me. I wonder if they didn't line the lining up properly when they sewed it back in? I've shortened sleeves on all kinds of jackets. Is it just plain sleeves or are there cuffs/buttons etc?

TheFurryMenace Wed 14-Sep-16 18:22:14

Thanks for your reply, Raising. The sleeves are just plain, no embellishments, buttons or fancy cuffs.

Moreisnnogedag Wed 14-Sep-16 18:38:18

I think it sounds like they didn't alter it right. I've found wool to be fairly forgiving and steams into submission.

TheFurryMenace Wed 14-Sep-16 20:58:27

Thank you so much, at least I won't be afraid to have it altered but will try and find a tailors. I appreciate the advice.

HoneyBunnySunny Wed 14-Sep-16 21:01:09

Sounds like they bodged putting the lining back, it should be one of the simplest alterations there is with plain sleeves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now