Talk

Advanced search

Dressmaking Scissors

(11 Posts)
dancinghulagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 15:25:52

I cant find my dressmaking scissors - can anyone recommend any good cheap lefthanded lighweight ones?

Sgtmajormummy Mon 29-Aug-16 15:31:48

Fiskars seem to be the most popular, but have you tried a cutting wheel snd mat? i love mine-so quick and accurate!

dancinghulagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 15:34:07

i do have a cutting wheel / mat, but cant find that either!!! (well i know where the mat is, its A2 so sits on my dining room table)

argh!

Sgtmajormummy Mon 29-Aug-16 16:10:55

smile
I'm often accused of having a scissor fetish, but it means I have multiple pairs and no designated place to put them away. A recipe for losing them all!
I agree with you about scissors needing to be light. I bought a pair of second hand re-sharpened pinking shears from an ironmonger at our weekly market. It's been about 10 years and they're still too stiff to use comfortably. Maybe my grandchildren will enjoy using them!

I saw a lovely video on YouTube abouta company in Sheffield that still makes the traditional steel shears (fetish!) and I think they sell online. Probably not lightweight, though. I'll see if I can find it.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 29-Aug-16 16:21:24

Ernest Wright and Sons. www.ernestwright.co.uk/general/10%20inch%20Dressmaking%20scissors,%20Dressmaking%20scissors%20tailors%20shears,%20sidebent%20pattern,%20dressmaking%20sidebent%20pattern%20dressmaking%20scissors,%20left%20handed
£60 for a pair of left handed dressmaking shears.

Ahem...
I don't know if my budget would stretch that far. They ARE lovely though...

dancinghulagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 16:33:41

YAY!! found them, the scissors! they were RIGHT ON MY DESK!!!! hanging off my headphone 'stand'

and they are Fiskars

Sgtmajormummy Mon 29-Aug-16 16:35:47

smile

CatherineDeB Mon 29-Aug-16 18:47:03

I know you have found them but Morplan has a good selection generally.

Their tailors shears are well thought of for the price. I have got the Wilkinson shears and snips and am really pleased with them.

I nearly went for Wright scissors for my birthday but changed my mind at the 11th hour, had a handmade necklace grin and so bought the serrated Wilkinson ones for myself. They sort of 'hold' the fabric a bit as they cut. I like them.

Left handed range looks a bit limited but I suspect you have to put up with that everywhere.

dancinghulagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 19:42:30

www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/wilkinson-tailors-shears !! wow!!

£119!!

I'm only a (bad) hobbyist

dancinghulagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 19:43:10

there are others cheaper there, but i was drawn to the expensive ones!

CatherineDeB Mon 29-Aug-16 21:00:39

Mine are the £25.95 plus vat ones dancing. I can't imagine that you can lift the ones you linked to with one hand grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now