Talk

Advanced search

Hair accessories

(5 Posts)
littlepooch Sun 28-Aug-16 14:03:20

Hello all,

First time in arts and crafts but you seem like a very friendly group!

I am after some advice. I am a new crafter - never made a thing in my life. I want to make some hair clips / hair accessories in quite a large number for a charity project and I have no idea where to start.

I've scoured the Internet and basic things I need I think are things like bows/felt bobble etc, the actual hair clip or hair band and a good glue gun to attach the bow/decorative bits and a small sewing kit. But I have no idea where I can buy these things from in bulk.
Have found various websites which ship from China and there seem to be sellers on eBay again from China but how on earth do I know they are reputable, will deliver my stuff, be of good quality and adhere to safety.

Any recommendations or tips on where to buy. I always prefer to buy British but perhaps to keep costs down that won't be possible,

Sorry to be so vague I'm just rather overwhelmed and don't know where to start!

Thank you!

Marcipex Sun 28-Aug-16 15:26:51

Look at the eBay reviews to see they're reliable sellers?
When you say safety, I'd assume any small hair decorations/beads etc to be choking hazards and unsuitable for small children.

Christabella21 Tue 30-Aug-16 02:23:51

The sellers from China with good feedback are generally great. You may need something stronger than standard glue from a glue gun to hold the bits in place. Different types of glue for different materials - will be online but polycement and superglue would last longer depending what it is

HateSummer Tue 30-Aug-16 02:34:35

I always buy stuff from eBay for craft projects. Its quite scary ordering the first time but I've never had a problem as I always go with the seller with the most stars, then check how many bad reviews they've had in the last month and 6 months. The fewer the better. Always read the description and you can always ask them further questions if need be.

I don't know how many glue guns you need but I bought a mini one for £5 at hobby craft.

I'd always go with the Chinese sellers on eBay rather than their own websites as you're safer iykwim.

littlepooch Tue 30-Aug-16 16:59:20

Oh thank you so much for replying. I will have a bit more of a look on eBay. I think I will need to make a few test ones to see what works best in terms of ribbon type/hardware and glue etc.

I have never made anything remotely crafty before so I just need to be brave i think and have a good go!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now