Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine with attached hard case

(6 Posts)
KiwiKay Sat 27-Aug-16 18:54:35

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sewing machine which has an attached hard case (ie. The 'lid' of the hard case clips to the actual machine - not a separate base)?
My mum brought her sewing machine with her from Japan in the 70's and I like the convenience and style of it (still runs like clockwork and has never had any repairs).
But when I google for sewing machines, I can't seem to find any like this.

CatherineDeB Sun 28-Aug-16 16:52:41

I think a Janome 525 has a hard case, I don't have one but looked at one when I took my machine in for a service recently.
Not sure where it attaches though.

Gizlotsmum Sun 28-Aug-16 16:57:33

The janome 525 does have a hard case, it doesn't attach to the base, it rests on it and the lifting handle on the machine fits through it to allow it to be carried

KiwiKay Sun 28-Aug-16 17:27:52

Ahh - okay... Thanks for the suggestion.
My mum's one has metal clips on each side of the machine that attach to the lid... Kind if like those clips on old school trunks and suitcases.
And the lid itself has fliptop sections on each side of the top where you can store thread, feet, needles, etc.
It's a really clever design...

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 28-Aug-16 17:29:06

I've bought 3 Janomes in the past few years (2 as gifts). They all have hard covers, but none of them clip to anything. You lift it up with the handle of the machine, and the hard cover, sort of hangs over it. Sewing machines these days have light, plastic cladding that would not be strong enough to cope with having a case clipped to them. My old machine is a japanese Janome, heavy, solid metal thing I can hardly lift, and it comes in a case with a drop-down front. Far better to get a modern janome, with hard cover, and a decent sewing machine trolly that will house the whole shebang, including accessories.

CatherineDeB Sun 28-Aug-16 17:32:23

I think you need to look for/buy a robust machine rather than looking for a particular case construction tbh.

The man who services my machine told me that the schools and colleges locally have all switched to the Janome 525 because they can get three of them for the Berninas they used to buy.

He rates it well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now