Talk

Advanced search

A total novice at paper cutting - please can you recommend a great craft knife for cutting out small, detailed items 😊

(9 Posts)
AdmiralSnackbar Fri 12-Aug-16 12:07:28

Just that really 😊
I've bought a set of absolutely gorgeous paper dolls that you cut out and then fix their joints together with little brass pins. I plan to put them in some white box frames and display their gorgeousness to good effect.

But...they are quite small (on a piece of A4 card per doll) and very detailed - my plan for using my trusty Stanley knife is just not going to cut it (bad pun, sorry 😁)

So, can anyone recommend a great craft knife for this kind of thing and possibly a mat, please? The choice on Amazon is huge and confusing, so I'd rather ask you all before committing to a choice.

They are sooo lovely that I just don't want to risk wrecking them!

Thanks in advance 😊

AdmiralSnackbar Sat 13-Aug-16 15:55:15

A hopeful bump ☺

thesandwich Sat 13-Aug-16 21:57:09

Dd says all self healing mats of £5 ish for a3 and x-acto knives or blades or surgical scalpels from Amazon! Hth. Blade and handle approx£10.

AdmiralSnackbar Sun 14-Aug-16 12:51:59

Thanks thesandwich! And to your DD, too ☺

VimFuego101 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:00:30

Xacto seems to be a popular one. There's a good group on FB called 'Papercutting and paper craft, Trainee-Expert'.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 14-Aug-16 13:02:46

Surgical scalpel and change blade regularly. It's what graphic designers used in the days when cut and paste meant just that.

thesandwich Sun 14-Aug-16 14:21:08

Our pleasure! Enjoy!

AdmiralSnackbar Mon 15-Aug-16 18:43:37

Thank you Vim and Shotgun ☺I shall have a look at that Facebook group now...fingers crossed I don't mess it up!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 15-Aug-16 21:12:30

Maybe try photocopying them first so you can practise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now