Talk

Advanced search

Knitting with dpn's

(9 Posts)
nothernexposure Wed 10-Aug-16 12:05:34

Lovely MN knitters, how do you avoid getting 'lines' when you knit with dpn's? I'm attempting to knit a hat with dpns rather than traditional needles and I can't work out how to avoid the change in tension when I swap needles. I've tried holding the needles at funny angles, knitting the first few stiches on the 'old' needle and then swapping them to the new but nothing seems to work. Has anyone got any advice on how to avoid this? Thanks.

PolterGoose Wed 10-Aug-16 21:32:36

I just pull it tight, and keep it tight until I've knitted my first couple of stitches on the new needle. Yarns with a bit of stretch help a lot, so it's less likely with say a sock yarn than a cotton yarn.

MasterOfMuppets Fri 12-Aug-16 13:44:47

I do the same. I pull the yarn very tight until I have the second stitch completed on the new needle.

faintlyoptimistic Fri 12-Aug-16 13:46:16

Yup, pull it much tighter than you think you should!

Snowwhitequeen Fri 12-Aug-16 17:05:18

I avoid dpns and use small circular needles to join in the round, or magic loop on a large circular needle. I cannot get on with dpns, I've really tried, but we're not meant to be!

RaisingSteam Fri 12-Aug-16 17:12:48

Its partly to do with how your needles are relative to each other. Such that the strand of yarn isn't forced to be wound halfway round the old needle to get to the first new stitch. I have it such that the new needle is on top of the old one when I make that first stitch, pull it good and tight. It's worth trying a circular needle option but because of how I hold my needles they give me cramps trying to hold such a tiny thing in my fingertips.
pic from here

Quite often irregularities in tension are much improved after the first wash.

PolterGoose Fri 12-Aug-16 17:17:23

Good picture Steam, I think that's how I do it, I also do the first few stitches on the new needle very near the tip to keep them tight. And I find I get less laddering using 5 needles instead of 4.

RiaOverTheRainbow Fri 12-Aug-16 17:40:34

I've just looked up the magic loop technique and omg I am never using dpns again, thanks Snow!

Snowwhitequeen Fri 12-Aug-16 18:38:24

You're welcome ria, its brilliant AND you can two-at-a-time using magic loop for sleeves, socks, mittens etc.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now