Talk

Advanced search

Beginning crochet

(18 Posts)
Onionringo Sun 17-Jul-16 16:50:47

Hi,

Any tips for beginning crochet? I decided I need a hobby, so I'd like to try it. What was the first thing you made? Any good sources for easy patterns? Any tips o which hooks and which wool?

My eventual aim is to make a big blanket for each of my children, assuming I get on with it ok. Me and my brother both have crocheted blankets from our grandmother, and we both love them.

Thanks!

chocolatespiders Sun 17-Jul-16 16:57:54

Bella Coco on you tube has some good guide videos
I am just starting my crochet journey!

chocolatespiders Sun 17-Jul-16 16:59:12

Stylecraft special DK (double knit) is the wool I was advised on and a 4mm crochet hook

dingledel Sun 17-Jul-16 20:46:16

So what are you doing as your first project? I am a very awkward knitter ( left handed) and I have once again told myself I can learn to crochet!

So many lovely projects out there.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 17-Jul-16 20:47:27

Pinterest is great for patterns/projects/ideas

ConfuciousSayWhat Sun 17-Jul-16 20:54:07

The crochet crowd on YouTube and Facebook. Their tutorials are bombproof and some really nice designs

dingledel Sun 17-Jul-16 21:13:20

I have tried starting a few times in the past but I struggled to hold the hook correctly. Recently I thought I would try again and not get so hung up on the "correct" technique, after all, holding my knitting needles weird has never stopped me from knitting!

TheFairyCaravan Sun 17-Jul-16 21:16:26

I taught myself to crochet last year. Don't worry about patterns use YouTube. BellaCoco is excellent. You just need some DK wool and a 4mm hook to get started.

Good luck.

Pinkerbeller Sun 17-Jul-16 21:36:28

Second yay for BellaCoco here. Yarn and hook depends on the pattern but start with something like a beanie hat, before I knew it I was doing minion hats and being hailed an artistic genius.

Note: maybe my friends are just overly appreciative smile

Ditsy4 Mon 18-Jul-16 04:59:30

Make a basket to keep your wool and crochet hook in. Either round or square.

Onionringo Mon 18-Jul-16 07:42:34

I'll look up Bella coco today, thanks.

Is the best way to get started just to try and crochet, even if you're not aiming for a particular thing, if that makes sense? Just get a hook, some wool and just practice?

Dingledel - I'm left handed too. Does that cause problems? Or is it fairly easy to just adapt? I've learnt to do several things right handed, and it's just second nature now.

I like the idea of making a basket. Is there a particular type of wool for a basket? Is normal wool strong enough?

Felascloak Mon 18-Jul-16 07:49:40

Try boodles for a basket. Sometimes you can find kits with a hook and pattern.

Felascloak Mon 18-Jul-16 07:50:10

Boodles it a type of yarn not a shop

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 18-Jul-16 07:56:53

I started with a big granny square blanket. It's really easy as you just go round and round, and change colours as you feel like it!

I don't like YouTube so I tend to use photo ones instead.

Attic24 has some nice patterns, or Cherry Heart crochet (really good for stitch tutorials). Both are in UK terms as well.

I like Stylecraft Special DK too. Lovely texture and a great range of colours. I use it for nearly everything.

The most confusing thing for me, to begin with, was that there are UK and US crochet terms. E.g. a UK double crochet is a US single crochet. It's OK once you know about it as you can check which the pattern uses and can "translate" quite easily smile

Good luck and have fun!

MiaowTheCat Mon 18-Jul-16 08:05:04

I taught myself about 3 years ago - now I make stuff good enough to sell and regularly get completely random requests from family members at stupid o'clock in the morning to make stuff (sure let me just bang out five pikachu for you by tomorrow morning).

As long as you're wary about the difference between US and UK terminology - I know the Crochet Crowd do a lot of left-handed tutorials.

I used a book called Crochet Unravelled www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Unravelled-Clear-Concise-Learning/dp/0954829611 which had left and right handed instructions (I'm the reverse - I'm the only rightie in a family of lefties so had to teach myself as my mum couldn't easily do so).

JudyCoolibar Mon 18-Jul-16 08:09:24

If you fancy learning in company there's a short course at the Great Missenden summer school - www.missendenabbey-al.co.uk/arca/index.php?option=com_courses&Itemid=75.

Spanielcrackers Mon 18-Jul-16 08:19:31

I would start with some simple squares as you learn each stitch.
You may find a chunkier yarn easier to learn with, preferably in a lighter colour. Hobby craft sell a lovely chunky yarn made by the WI. If you check the band on the ball of yarn it will tell you what size hook to buy.

Onionringo Mon 18-Jul-16 10:14:06

Right, I'm going to order myself some hooks and some wool and just get started. I've had a quick look at the Bella coco granny squares video, and I've seen a set similar to the ones she's got on eBay, not too expensive, so I'll get some of them. And a ball of wool. And just try.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now