Crochet chevron help needed!

(15 Posts)
Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 20:57:56

Can anyone with a bit more skill than me solve my chevron problems. I've just started a baby blanket and my peaks and troughs don't line up. I seem to remember this happening the last time I tried to do a blanket like this. I'm following this pattern. I've done the 100 foundation stitches (I'm sure) and row 1. I've been back over row 1 and can't find any mistakes. I've chained 2, turned and done the first dc into the same stitch from which the ch2 arises. The pattern says 5 dcs then 2xdc2tog but if I do that my reducing stitches are nowhere near the ones in the previous row. Anyone any thoughts?

FiftyNineOhEight Sat 16-Jul-16 21:06:14

I always use the Attic 24 ripple pattern, which needs multiples of 14+3 stitches (there are 4 trebles between the increases/decreases, not the 5 you have).

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 16-Jul-16 21:08:18

I'm not certain but it looks like you crocheted 2 stitches together x 2 i.e., an increase in the first row repeat rather than dc2together which would be a decrease. So you should have a dip at the first repeat in row 1 but you have more of a rise.

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 21:10:45

Thanks. I think that might be the one I used last time but I'm pretty sure I had the same problem. Am I being a bit dense or should the 2dc increases be directly above the same stitches on the previous row?

PolterGoose Sat 16-Jul-16 21:22:59

Did you do the increases in the first row? It's hard to see but I think you've missed them.

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 21:24:48

Working right to left the final 2 stitches are an increase. Then x4 dc and x2 dc2tog

PolterGoose Sat 16-Jul-16 21:29:16

Something has gone wrong with your counting then, as you've got too many stitches after your last pair of decreases in the first row.

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 21:35:42

Poltergoose-agreed 😔 I can't see where it's wrong but I didn't want to frog it on the off chance someone would tell me it was something simple. Ah well <tears work apart and reaches for wine>. I'll give it another go tomorrow and if the same thing happens it'll have to be a nice simple pattern. Thanks for helping everyone!

PolterGoose Sat 16-Jul-16 21:38:43

If you're starting again can I make a suggestion? Have you tried using the back loops of your chain to make your first row - you get a much neater edge for doing your border IMHO.

It took me ages to get ripples right.

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 21:55:39

All suggestions welcome! I'm not sure I understand though. What are the back loops? I taught myself to crochet a few years ago so my knowledge is a bit patchy.

PolterGoose Sat 16-Jul-16 22:04:43

When you work into your starting chain instead of making your stitches into the V's you make them into the little bumps/loops/ridges at the back of the chain. It's a bit fiddly but I prefer the finished look.

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sat 16-Jul-16 22:23:17

I'll give it a go 😌

Beanzmeanzcoffee Mon 18-Jul-16 08:21:15

Huzzah!

AlbusPercival Mon 18-Jul-16 08:26:21

Look good, well done beanz!

PolterGoose Mon 18-Jul-16 08:35:22

Well done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now