Talk

Advanced search

I have £300 to spend on a sewing machine, any recommendations?

(5 Posts)
LucyInTheSkyWithDonuts Sat 16-Jul-16 12:43:31

I have around £300 pounds to spend on a new sewing machine. I currently have one of the very basic £50 John Lewis machines which was a good start point but I'm ready to move on to something with more features.

I want to use it for basic home sewing like clothes making and craft projects. Free sewing ability for quilting would be good but not essential. It also needs to be fairly straightforward to use ( as I'm not a natural sewer and don't have loads of patience!)

Can anybody recommend a good machine for me?

frenchfancy Sat 16-Jul-16 15:44:29

This is mine www.sewingmachines.co.uk/products/janome-423s/187 I've had it for about 3 years now with no problems. The feed dogs drop down so you can do free motion. I have made every thing from Jeans to swimming costumes and even canvas for a pergola roof. As long as the needles are right this machine can handle it.

I think with that budget going for a good mechanical machine is better than a cheap computerised one.

CatherineDeB Sat 16-Jul-16 20:09:50

I agree with French, a metal bodied mechanical machine will do everything you need and will be sturdy and reliable.

I only know the machines I have but know someone with a Husquervana Emerald 118 that loves it. That will be in your price bracket.

I think Janome are priced really keenly though so expect the Emerald to do a bit less (think you get a good selection of feet with it). They do (or used to) an Emerald Rose version which was pink Ishmael and had an extra foot!

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 16-Jul-16 20:15:56

I have a Janone Decor 30 which cost about that from JL, I really like it, easy to use etc

LucyInTheSkyWithDonuts Sat 16-Jul-16 20:27:19

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now