Talk

Advanced search

Really nice quality jersey - where to buy

(24 Posts)
CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 13:54:37

I always sew with lovely fabrics but have bought some cheap jersey recently as I wasn't sure I would like it or sewing with it. I do like it.

I buy a fair bit of Liberty fabric from Shaukat and they have got Liberty jersey which I will buy but I would love recommendations for other places - ideally cotton or linen medium weight jersey.

Hard to judge online so I think I will go down the sample route.

Fomalhaut Mon 11-Jul-16 13:58:10

Good places:

M is for make
Girl charlee
Fabric godmother
Ditto fabrics

do you have an overlocker? Well worth getting if you are into seeing with stretch fabrics

GetMeOut Mon 11-Jul-16 14:10:57

Raystich have beautifully soft bamboo jerseys. I haven't seen with them, but I did give them a good feel in the shop ( they do on line too )

Faberwood have a more eclectic selection if you want something a little different.

GetMeOut Mon 11-Jul-16 14:12:24

'Sewn' with them ...,

CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 14:15:56

Thank you, I will look those up.

Yes, formal, have had an overlocker for years but upgraded it this year to a Bernina 1150, hence I am trying to use it more I think!

I usually sew with lovely linens, wools, cottons, silk, anything natural, hence I have never really bothered with jersey because I have never thought it as nice tbh.

drspouse Mon 11-Jul-16 14:46:39

Facebook groups - there are various ones.
Etsy.
Dawanda (drool)
Fabrics.com
Tiny Vikings
Kitschycoo

I am a jersey addict!

GetMeOut Mon 11-Jul-16 15:01:01

If you like natural type good quality fabrics then I would suggest you look for jerseys
with silk or viscose in them as that will give you the 'hand ' and drape quality that you are used to.

Fomalhaut Mon 11-Jul-16 17:08:39

Jersey is great - it's really addictive! I sew a lot for my little boy - birch fabrics do fab interlock knits for kids

CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 17:15:24

My head hurts! I have looked at so many jerseys.

I love this and might buy it for a new dress pattern, not jersey, not helpful!

faberwood.com/collections/frontpage/products/spot-like-chambray-ikat-handloom-indian-cotton

GetMeOut Mon 11-Jul-16 17:19:56

Yes, I have been looking at that as well smile.
I find that often happens, IRL and Internet, you go looking for one thing and cone back with something completely different wink

CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 20:04:55

Well, I have excelled myself, bought nothing like the stuff I need for summer travel dresses.

Another tangent led me to M&W. I buy a fair bit from there anyway but have bought this

www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/21240/plain-stretch-fabrics/mw/marl-jersey

And this in the middle colour way.

www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/21116/stretch-wools/mw/zigzag-knit

Looks like Autumn is taken care of but not my summer holiday!

Getmeout I am going to go for the fabric we both like, it isn't that wide though so I need to double check my pattern when I am at home.

GetMeOut Mon 11-Jul-16 21:22:03

Oh wow - they are super ! ( Step away from the M & W website now GetMeOut.....you still have all your summer fabrics to sew up....) but with the English summer as it is maybe jersey wools are a good shout ..,

CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 21:35:05

grin we are all very encouraging here! I have never really looked at jersey fabric before a month or so ago, not on my radar at all.

I need to google most things I buy to be honest, I have no idea about things like scuba jersey and half of the things that come up when I search, probably why I retreated to M&W, safe ground for me.

I am thinking of buying this in dark grey

www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/21280/plain-stretch-fabrics/mw/sweatshirting-fleece

To make this which is really lovely, I have made two already, one in a Goretex stretch which is incredible!

www.paprikapatterns.com/jasper-choose-fabric/

The most flattering fleece pattern out there I reckon. But like you, I need to crack on with sewing for summer (and my holiday in a month) first.

CatherineDeB Mon 11-Jul-16 21:36:21

pattern link

drspouse Mon 11-Jul-16 21:53:51

Lovely!

OoohNewShoes Tue 12-Jul-16 09:00:28

That is a gorgeous pattern! How difficult is it to make?

CatherineDeB Tue 12-Jul-16 09:05:19

I didn't find it hard NewShoes but difficult to say really. I suppose that the hardest part is the welt pockets but there is a tutorial on the web page if you need one.

I found the pattern after buying a Berghaus fleece. It was so flattering I searched for something similar.

OoohNewShoes Tue 12-Jul-16 09:31:12

Thanks for the reply smile I really love it so I think I'll to give it a go!

Now off to dither over fabric grin

drspouse Tue 12-Jul-16 09:35:08

I tend to use bright Scandi prints (mainly sewing for the DCs) but I also have some Liberty jersey - I got some from Shaukat and made an Ottobre pattern and now have some more and am thinking of this

http://pin.it/a3qODl-

Long sleeved top, probably with a scoop neck.

Confusednotcom Tue 12-Jul-16 09:35:29

Marking place smile

OoohNewShoes Tue 12-Jul-16 09:54:45

Oh, I got distracted by your pattern link and forgot to say I really like Croftmill fabrics. They change what they have a lot and seem to buy in ends of fabrics from various places so I keep an eye on their site, I've got some lovely fabrics from them.

CatherineDeB Tue 12-Jul-16 10:04:39

Thanks NewShoes, I have bought from there before .... Just not jersey!

I love Shaukat Dr. In fact am wearing a Merchant and Mills camber top in Liberty city poplin form there today.

I am going to go for Liberty jersey from there for next month. Two lengths, I will order today and then lock my credit card up.

Two dresses for one week, rolled up in a backpack, it won't be pretty.

drspouse Tue 12-Jul-16 12:44:58

Just looked at Merchant & Mills - lovely patterns but my goodness, expensive!

CatherineDeB Tue 12-Jul-16 13:16:51

I don't think I save much, if any, money buy sewing most of the time Dr but I get what I want and it fits, don't tell anyone though! I would only buy in the sales if I was buying rtw unless I needed something for a particular occasion.

My M&M patterns have all been used lots (apart from the unopened ones grin). They used to do lovely card patterns, single sized ones in a tube and I have got some of those as well.

I don't think they are too expensive really, I bought a PDF pattern last week for £8 and then printed 50(!) pages, stuck them together and traced off it, I reckon that must = nearly £13. I have vowed to buy paper patterns for a while after the frustration of one last week being a pig to line up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now