Talk

Advanced search

Dummies guide to reading patterns?

(3 Posts)
Titsywoo Sun 10-Jul-16 15:44:23

I'm just learning to sew and have done a couple of beginners courses (making a bag and cushion and doing some clothes making bits like different seams, zips, darts etc). But now I would like to make clothes and an struggling to understand the terminology in the patterns etc. Any good books or websites out there to explain this to the lay person? Thanks smile

CatherineDeB Sun 10-Jul-16 20:25:46

I would really recommend this book. I have got the original version from the 70s which was my Mum's but actually bought the 2011 version just because I buy far too many books, sewing or otherwise.

It really does take everything back to basics but does so much more p, things like patterns: inside the envelope; detailed stuff about pattern markings and symbols and what pattern markings mean, all the way to tailoring techniques.

Couldn't recommend it enough

JoffreyBaratheon Sun 10-Jul-16 21:23:41

I like this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Merchant-Mills-Sewing-Book/dp/1908449098/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468182149&sr=1-1&keywords=merchant+and+mills+sewing+book

But this one might be even better for your purposes:

www.amazon.co.uk/Elementary-Sewing-Skills-Merchant-Mills/dp/1909397415/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3B4SWHDCKQXWTM5D1S92

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now