Talk

Advanced search

Fair Isle wool?????

(10 Posts)
StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 19:08:25

Will it really just look like a proper pattern or just come out weirdly blotchy?

And if I embark on a jumper how would I get the sleeves to match? Or does it not matter?

tribpot Thu 30-Jun-16 19:20:59

Are you thinking of something like Sirdar Crofter, which is a self-patterning yarn designed to mimic the look of fair isle?

To get the sleeves to match, you'd have to start each at the same point in the yarn's pattern - pull out yarn on two separate balls til you find a place where the patterns line up.

It won't look exactly like fair isle but it's not bad. I really like Baby Crofter for baby stuff. If you want to get more ideas, you can join Ravelry (it's free), search for the yarn and then look at thousands of projects to see how it looks in real life.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 19:25:29

Sirdar crofter is exactly what I have sitting looking at me!

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 19:26:27

And would it crochet the same? (I'm crap at knitting)

tribpot Thu 30-Jun-16 19:34:01

No, it won't crochet the same. I can see some projects on Rav done crocheted in Crofter and it looks nice, but it won't look quite as intended.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 19:54:19

Ah well. I'll give it a bash. Needed a holiday project so bought it on a whim.

Batteriesallgone Thu 30-Jun-16 19:56:27

Have to say it doesn't really look proper fair isle at all but it is still nice.

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 20:24:37

Proper fair isle is beyond me. It's pretty colours though.

Batteriesallgone Thu 30-Jun-16 20:37:05

Also keep to a simple pattern. My MIL has made some lovely things for DC, but complicated pattern + complicated colour changing wool just ends up looking a bit messy. And cute detailing gets lost in the busy-ness

StillSmallVoiceOfCalm Thu 30-Jun-16 21:04:59

Simple is good. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now