Sewing machine dilemma

(11 Posts)
Ineedabiscuit Thu 23-Jun-16 14:00:15

I have an old Frister Rossman Cub7 that my mother has given me. It's in good condition but I'm a beginner and it seems very difficult to thread (correctly) and I am missing the manual . An Internet search has not really helped as the manual is hopeless online as it's almost impossible to work out the correct order of threading due to it not having any close ups ofthe diagram .all this means I cannot get it to work properly and am getting fed up with it . Mum is in her 80s and she's forgotten too as she hardly used it !
I am thinking of getting rid of this machine and getting a Singer promise or a Brother ls14 I've seen on the hobby craft website at £69 and £64 respectively . They both seem to have very good reviews on Amazon and as I only want it for odd repairs and hemming of jeans etc. -just basic stuff really , apparently they are very easy to use , want advice from others please.
Also seen the John Lewis jl10 that is £89 , also good reviews ...
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jellykat Thu 23-Jun-16 20:13:25

Can you post us a photo of the front of the cub machine? - With any luck i can verbally guide you through threading..

OurBlanche Thu 23-Jun-16 20:20:47

One of us is bound to be able to give threading your current machine a good go... but if not then the Hobbycraft machines are OK for straight line stitching. They are not really meant for determined sewing smile

I'd go to an independent dealer, they usually sell refurbed machines at good prices, if you have one locally that might be a good place to start.

Ineedabiscuit Thu 23-Jun-16 20:57:46

Will do as soon as I can take a pic .
Thanks

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 23-Jun-16 21:04:18

Related to what you asking, but not completely grin. I had one of the old Fristers, which I really liked. So when it died, I replaced it with a new one. New one (well, new about 8 yrs ago) not quite so impressive, so I would personally avoid now.

CatherineDeB Thu 23-Jun-16 22:28:04

I think that your old machine will out perform the new ones you have mentioned. I went to a shop yesterday, a Bernina and Janome dealer who sells older machines and he had one of these in his window (£90 I think from memory).

I would say it was worth getting to grips with it. Unless you really want a new machine, nothing wrong with that either but I think your Cub will be better.

JoffreyBaratheon Fri 24-Jun-16 09:32:23

If I just wanted a machine for some very occasionally repairs I'd spend a tenner (or £25) on a vintage hand crank.

Or agree with Catherine that I'd find someone (local teacher? Class? Ask in a local college?) who can work out the threading path and sort it out for you, as I doubt any modern machines under a few hundred squid are really worth bothering with..?

Ineedabiscuit Sat 25-Jun-16 06:03:17

Sorry don't know what has happened as last night posted several photos of my machine and it's now not here !
I have no idea what happened. Will try again
Thanks to you all for your advice .

ColdFeetAndHotCakes Sat 25-Jun-16 06:41:28

Try you local sewing co-operative, have a google and see what's in your area. My JL Mini never worked and JL were rubbish for trying to get hold of (no shop near me unfortunately). My local sewing co-op were great and I paid £30 for a technician to have a look at it. They couldn't fix it in the end and I ended up trekking it to Liverpool to have it repaired, so lovely in store, couldn't have been more helpful. The local co-op did offer to refund me the entire amount for the service as they were gutted they couldn't fix it, but we ended up taking my hand crank Singer in for a service instead. I literally only need my JL Mini for the zig zag stitch, everything else I can do on my Singer and I love it. £35 in a charity shop window and 1000x less temperamental than anything electric in my opinion, great if you only need to do a few repairs every now and again.

Lovefromhull Sat 25-Jun-16 06:45:22

I would try to find a local repair service. They would probably look at it for you. They might even have an old manual.

GlueSuedeShoes Sat 25-Jun-16 06:51:36

I would persevere with the Cub, the machine will be much better quality than a cheap new one.

I doubt you'll be able to sew through a jeans hem in a cheap modern machine - the fabric is very thick and lots of sewing machines struggle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now