Talk

Advanced search

Just bought my first sewing machine...

(7 Posts)
Crusoe Wed 15-Jun-16 15:22:23

I haven't used a sewing machine since I was at school nearly 30 years ago. On a bit of a whim I have bought myself a basic machine. I have managed to get it going but need some really, really basic things to make, I was thinking simple material bags or something like that but I'm drowning in stuff on the Internet. Does anyone have any recommendations of good sites, patterns or videos.
Also I am having trouble cutting material neatly. What equipment do I need to do a better job?
Thanks in advance

RatherBeIndoors Wed 15-Jun-16 20:36:40

In a similar recent thread, another poster recommended www.morsbags.com/get-involved/pattern-download-links/

It's a good strong bag pattern.

There's a pattern/instructions for an envelop style cushion cover here: www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/img/pdf/ikea_how_to_make_a_cushion_v2.pdf

Re the cutting, is the material moving while you cut it? You might need to either weight it (anything heavy will do but the current bunch of people on Sewing Bee have some very cute bespoke weights). Some people find a rotary cutter and mat easier - but I can only manage straight lines with mine before I become a liability grin Your fabric cutting scissors need to become sacrosanct, so everyone knows the person who borrows them to cut paper will be buying you a new pair...

greengreenten Wed 15-Jun-16 20:52:53

I'm doing just what you're doing. Loving my machine and have learnt lots by just having a go, making mistakes etc

I'm not using any patterns and trying to avoid too many rules. I look at existing items in my house or shops and then work out how to do it. I started with and envelope style cushion all from one piece of material. The only thing I have looked at are you tube videos. Maybe find someone you like and just subscribe to them?

Trumpton Wed 15-Jun-16 20:54:33

In fact I suggest you buy a padlock for your scissors ..like so...

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 15-Jun-16 20:56:41

I've done the same as greengreenten and have made some lovely skirts by working out my own patterns from existing clothes.
Fiskars scissors are great, if pricey, but I also have a pair of dressmaking scissors from Tesco that do the job beautifully.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and have some fun with your machine.

Crusoe Wed 15-Jun-16 20:59:41

Thank-you all some good tips there, I appreciate your help.

CatherineDeB Wed 15-Jun-16 21:04:18

Crafty can be good, if you register you will get 50% discount codes, frequently.

If you go to the community tab, top right, there are 000s of free things, you can select sewing, level of difficulty and free and then do the same for patterns when you get to wanting to make clothes.

www.craftsy.com/patterns/sewing?free=true

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now