Do these colours work?

(33 Posts)
Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 09:00:17

To adapt this dress - possibly with black & bronze (& maybe gold I'm not sure yet) crystals?

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 10:43:58

That bad huh?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 08-Jun-16 11:20:40

I personally think it's a bit busy. What parts are the original dress?

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:24:17

It's a bronze net strapless & my first attempt at up cycling in order to try & sell

I've tried black lace, bronze sequins and I think colourwise this is the best; obviously it's too bulky as I've folded fabric up - I'll only cut it if I am sure

I think I am aiming at the teen/early 20s market? Maybe

Or maybe I should get a real job sad

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:25:06

Idea was a gathered halter neck and a smooth fitted bodice with the bracups being crystalled

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 08-Jun-16 11:46:33

If you're aiming at teens then I'm probably not the best person to be giving an opinion in all likelihood.

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:51:49

I have messaged DD to see what she thinks but I think she must be concentrating on college or studying or something hmm Children!!

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:52:52

But thank you for talking to me

Off to sewing shop now - I'll think again when I get back

KittyKrap Wed 08-Jun-16 11:55:31

I think that it looks like the leopard print bit has fallen down revealing a brown bra. Which bit did you want to add sequins to? I think it's a bit fussy as it is.

Are you thinking prom type?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 08-Jun-16 11:57:12

But good luck katymac I've never found a way to make a viable business out of my varied crafting hobbies but would love to!

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:57:52

across the bra cups, maybe?

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 11:59:33

Yes prom - or maybe a bit rockabilly (do they still call it that or is it goth now or have they merged?)

Janefromdowntheroad Wed 08-Jun-16 12:01:55

Sorry but it's awful

Hullygully Wed 08-Jun-16 12:04:25

I'm impressed you got an Avatarian to model it.

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 12:09:00

Huh Hully?

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 12:09:44

Oh the film- I googled & got footballers!!

CatherineDeB Wed 08-Jun-16 12:34:50

I don't like it Katy, sorry. But, having said that it is better than anything I could think of because I don't think, I just follow the instructions on the pattern in a very safe manner!

I don't like the bra bit but then I am old, maybe someone else will. I think you could do leopardskin halter neck top half and another colour out of the leopardskin for the bottom half. Then bra bit and wafty skirt with the dark colour in the skirt over the bra. Could you reduce the gather of the skirt and use the fabric you retrieve from that for something over the bra.

Good luck with it.

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 14:29:54

Thanks for all your comments - I am taking them on board

I spent a while in the sewing shop looking at lace which might work better (but not the £20 a m one I photographed)

The skirt & top are all the same fabric sort of peach/flesh covered with brown net

Confucioussaywhat Wed 08-Jun-16 15:13:40

Sorry Katy but it's awful

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 15:47:52

OK so starting from the basic dress - where do you think I should go?

I wonder if I am still making Ballroom & Latin dresses in my head - big bold and make sure you can see it at 50 ft

CatherineDeB Wed 08-Jun-16 17:20:37

I like it as it is, I am not sure that is helpful though is it.

Could you make something to wear with it rather than altering it?

Must add that it has been a very long time since I showed that much flesh (if I ever did at all as I was a tomboy) so I really am not the best person for the job here.

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 17:29:05

I kind of do too -but it seemed a perfect blank canvas

& I don't think I just want to buy stuff from charity shops and sell for profit (if I can) I'd rather 'do' something to it....

Mypoorbelly Wed 08-Jun-16 17:32:00

You could turn it into a cosplay costume if you separate the bodice and skirt

mynamesnotsam Wed 08-Jun-16 17:32:28

What if you did something with the top of the dress in a plain fabric the same colour as the dark net on the skirt?

Katymac Wed 08-Jun-16 17:39:05

The top & the skirt are the same colour - sort of fleshypeach with dark brown over the top

Even if it doesn't look it

Splitting it appeals (I've done that before)

So a corset (crystalled or not?) then a skirt? - But I don't know anyone who does cosplay so I might be stumped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now