Talk

Advanced search

Am I any good?

(18 Posts)
Greenyogagirl Fri 03-Jun-16 22:24:55

I've always loved drawing and painting and did fine art at college. Due to whatever reason I didn't draw or paint again until very recently (11 years later)
I'm so bloody frustrated with it, I see amazing artists on fb and think I'm no good, family always said I'm no good, I get about half way (child painting is half way) then think what's the point when I'm no good?!
I know I should do if for the love of doing it but I really would like a good end result as well lol

So, should I continue? Am I any good? (I'm ready with the tissues!)

MayhemandMadness Fri 03-Jun-16 22:27:43

I really like the cat one. I'm no expert but I like it.

Greenyogagirl Fri 03-Jun-16 22:31:34

Thank you! X

TheoriginalLEM Fri 03-Jun-16 22:31:40

i prefer the cat if im honest. you have captured its feelings in your picture. You absolutely should continue to paint gor your own personal pleasure. However i also think your work is good enough to earn money from, pet portraits are quite popular.

My dd has made a bit of money this way but more importantly. she enjoys it.

8FencingWire Fri 03-Jun-16 22:35:02

Just do it for yourself. You might want to join a class too, spend some time doing what you like. It doesn't matter how good it is, if it makes you happy and it relaxes you, go for it!

Greenyogagirl Fri 03-Jun-16 22:36:04

Better at animals (or maybe just cats ha!) then. Thank you! If the basics are there then I can build on that and practice until I'm ready to take it further like doing pet portraits smile

Babettescat Sat 04-Jun-16 08:22:09

Your cat is nice. The child i found a bit ... Disturbing... Something about the mouth and eyes

Anyway keep painting! Pet portraits are very popular!

ZippyNeedsFeeding Sat 04-Jun-16 11:52:54

I really like the cat too. And try to work on not caring so much how good your work is. Not only will it stop you from progressing because you will feel like like trying new ideas, but you rob yourself of the main point of making anything, which (for me at least) is the love of being absorbed in a project and the joy of doing something creative.

Greenyogagirl Sat 04-Jun-16 13:21:31

Thank you x

lanbro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:23:09

Cat looks good, child not so much I'm afraid!

fortifiedwithtea Sun 05-Jun-16 02:25:42

You definitely have artistic ability but have not had any training in paint techniques. Go to an adult education class for fun to learn and you will impress your family.

You've picked two hard subjects. Fur is hard to do and a child's portrait is more difficult because they do not the depth of character in their faces that age brings.

I actually think the child is better. The features are well balanced and distances are correct for example nose to mouth to chin. And you said it's not finished yet: I can see you haven't done the shading and hi-lights.

I suspect you've used black from the tube for the pupils and areas inside the nostrils. First learn how to mix a black, secondly don't use it up the nose. The Old Masters used glazes to build up the skin tone in layers and it takes a few sessions to do with drying in between layers.

HTH

fortifiedwithtea Sun 05-Jun-16 02:36:31

Sorry, re-read post - you've been to college and taking painting up again. Absolutely continue, these are unfinished works and will be brilliant when you've finished.

NightWanderer Sun 05-Jun-16 02:55:56

I know you said you studied art but a class still might be fun. It could give you ideas to work on and help build your confidence.

Greenyogagirl Sun 05-Jun-16 11:24:50

Thank you x
They're actually done using pastel pencils but I see what you mean about using black x

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 08-Jun-16 22:28:50

I don't see why your family say you're 'no good.' And surely if you've dond a degree in fine art you'll know that it's not about getting a photographic likeness (that's what bloody camera are for!).
Try some loosening up techniques rather than sweating over whether you've captured a likeness or not. Eg attach a piece of charcoal on the end of a stick - forces you to work at arm's length and produces interesting results. Dipping the stick in ink works as well. Or try blind contour drawings. There's loads of resources online, or you could find a class where looser work is encouraged.

steppemum Thu 09-Jun-16 10:39:25

I am interested in why you would only do it if you are 'good?'
I have recently started decorating and drawing, and using water colours and mixed media. It is entirely for myself, I have no training at all, and I am just enjoying the creative process. For me it is a great way to have down time, and I have no intention of doing anything with my work. It is also in a book, which satisfies me and I don't need to display it.

I do think you are good by the way, but as I'm not an artist, that may not be relevant.
Also, what do you mean by good?

Are you trying to get a good likeness?
Or a good free interpretation of a subject?
Or a good creative response to something?
Or be good enough to sell work? And then again, the market for drawing a pet's likeness is a very different market to work in a gallery?

I am interested I suppose, in why you draw, and therefore what your aim is? But it is really a question for you, not me.

DollyBarton Thu 23-Jun-16 09:38:24

I don't think they are good enough to sell but they are good enough as a hobby. If you practice though and maybe take some classes, you could get better. It depends on how committed you are and how important it is to you.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Thu 23-Jun-16 09:56:39

If you are not satisfied with the end result keep going until you are. I think your problem is more to do with wanting other people's approval. You have a talent and like anything in life, it will improve with practice. Please don't give up. My talent is cake eating and its only through years of practice that I've become so good at it 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now