Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made the red heart whimsical cushions?

(14 Posts)
AlbusPercival Tue 31-May-16 15:56:22

Want to make these for the nursery.

Used the right wool, right hook, but pillow is half the stated size. I know I have a fairly tight crochet, but even so, loosening the tension wont double the size, and going up enough hook sizes to hit the gauge will leave it holey!

Anyone else have the same issue?

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 07:05:20

One thought - is it in US terms rather than UK? It they say DC and you are doing a UK DC it will end up smaller.

AlbusPercival Wed 01-Jun-16 07:13:54

Good thought soup, but I usually crochet us so it's not that

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 07:42:24

Dammit smile that was my one flash of inspiration!

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 07:43:36

Which one are you doing?

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 07:50:26

Half is a huge size difference. Having said that, I did have a problem with a pair of socks once where my guage was vastly different to what they wanted and that was also a Red Heart pattern. I just added as many stitches as I needed to to get the right size.

AlbusPercival Wed 01-Jun-16 08:24:58

The princess and pea one.

It's very cute, but tiny.

It's also half the height so I would have to double starting chain and number of rows.

And then I'm not sure just doubling starting chain would work with all the different textures of mattress.

And finally, then I think the appliqués would be too small :S

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 09:02:10

And it's the exact same yarn? That's the only other thing I can think would make it so much smaller - are you accidentally using 4 ply instead of Aran? grin

AlbusPercival Wed 01-Jun-16 10:06:58

Haha - no!

I'm not using the exact same yarn, but same ply and same recommended hook size on both. Its mad isn't it.

im beginning to think when they put 12 x15 inches they meant 12x 15 cm and just used a tiny child to take the photos!

Thinking im just going to make them small and stuff with wadding rather than cushion blanks!

SoupDragon Wed 01-Jun-16 14:49:53

I think they have just used a tiny child. Even looking at the stitches in the picture I can't see how the cushion would be big with that number of stitches unless the yarn is actually a bulky one rather than just Aran (and this didn't seem to be the case when I googled it)

AlbusPercival Thu 02-Jun-16 07:31:28

Weird! Looks like I either need to find a tiny child or live with small cushions then!

Thanks for your help Soup smile

SoupDragon Thu 02-Jun-16 08:30:02

Lol - or lack of help grin

AlbusPercival Thu 02-Jun-16 09:52:36

far more helpful than whoever designed the pattern grin

Tate15 Sat 04-Jun-16 10:19:31

Looking at the picture especially at the light yellow and guessing the gauge it looks like they may have doubled yarn up to get a thicker stitch therefore use a larger hook?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now