Talk

Advanced search

Improvisation in the sewing room!

(6 Posts)
CatherineDeB Thu 26-May-16 21:49:57

I am making a Chanel style jacket, couldn't find my tailor's ham for love nor money.

Guess what worked perfectly ..... A pair of pure wool ski socks rolled and paired together!

Desperation induced but I am quite pleased with myself grin.

SilverHawk Fri 27-May-16 20:35:01

I like it!
Any good bodges ideas for a sleeve ironing board?

CatherineDeB Fri 27-May-16 20:48:15

What abut a rolled towel or rolled wool blanket. If it was a hand towel you might just have to move it to each side of the sleeve as you pressed it.

Or if you have for a bit of wood and a jigsaw one of these ... I would make something like that on a rainy day

www.burdastyle.com/techniques/how-to-make-a-sleeve-board

SilverHawk Sun 29-May-16 21:49:09

Thank you, I had thought and tried to use a towel. It wasn't very successful.
I will search around for some woolly stuff, that will be much better.
I love the Burda link but nobody I know has a jigsaw, or the inclination to use one.

CatherineDeB Mon 30-May-16 07:53:49

If you don't mind buying something these are well thought of

www.amazon.co.uk/Sew-Easy-Tailors-Pressing-Dressmaking/dp/B0063G88G8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464591085&sr=8-1&keywords=Sleeve+roll

SilverHawk Tue 31-May-16 22:39:28

That's a very good price for the basket of three items grin. I never knew that I needed a corner and edge shaper though. I've always used scissors, chopsticks or cocktail sticks and a needle for the very end.
In my opinion, that bit of plastic will not flatten seams without ironing but may stop fingers getting a little hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now