Talk

Advanced search

How would you do ceiling drapery for octagonal summerhouse?

(9 Posts)
TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 14-May-16 19:43:23

Summerhouse has lovely varnished floor and woodstained walls, but the ceiling is manky waterstained plywood. I don't think I am going to manage to make it look nice no matter how many coats of Ronseal I give it, so I am thinking of making drapes for the ceiling which will make it all tent-like. We will attach them with a hook so they can come inside easily for the winter.
How would you go about this? I am thinking 8 separate lengths of fabric, not shaped in any way, just attached at the walls and gathered into the centre. But could easily do more sewing if it was necessary to get the right effect.
I am thinking coloured muslin - it needs to be washable and drapey, and I want rich colours rather than the pure white romantic effect. Can I buy this anywhere or would the cheapest thing be to dye butter muslin?
Anyone done anything similar or have any thoughts?
Thanks smile

lavendersun Sat 14-May-16 21:02:33

I didn't line the ceiling but I did buy old silk saris on eBay to make curtains/cushions for my summerhouse and for some of my camping stuff. I think your plan sounds fine.

I just did an eBay search for used saris and then ordered by lowest price first - they are generally 5m long. I had to wait for them to come from India but they were really cheap - £4-5 end price for a 5m silk sari.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 14-May-16 21:06:54

What a great idea - thank you!

I've seen this in festival yurts, and it looks AWESOME! smile

You might need to have a strategy for where they all meet in the middle. Depending on how thin/bulky the fabric is (if there's a stiff border, you might want to cut it off and re-task it), you might need to make the connection point not dead-centre. Maybe attach them all to a ring. Then hide that blank space with a smallish ceiling rose or a big, f-off finial.

Can we see pics when you're done?

SocialDisaster Fri 20-May-16 16:19:03

I wonder if a large canopy like the Ikea one would help. You may be able to fashion one from a hula hoop if you can't locate one.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 20-May-16 17:09:51

Now there's a thought <eyes dd's ikea canopy>
I will have to measure round the hem to see if it's wide enough. That would be a very cheap and easy option if it fits.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 20-May-16 17:16:59

Yep! Cheap, easy, washable, but not as much fun or sumptuous as having different colours and very transparent - won't know until it's up whether it will conceal the ceiling as I want it to.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 21-May-16 14:25:47

Decision made. 12m of cotton muslin and a pack of ocean blue Dylon purchased. When I have dyed and tested it I am thinking of doing something starry in silver or gold - maybe fabric paints and stencils rather than stick on stars which might come off in the wash.
I am writing a Tudor novel in there and a starry ceiling seems like the sort of thing they would have done.
Will definitely post pics if it ends up looking half presentable.

Well we're definitely going to have to call you Dr Dee from now on. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now