Talk

Advanced search

Any newsmakers out there?

(5 Posts)
PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Fri 13-May-16 15:44:33

I just returned to dressmaking after a 20 year gap to find that my body shape has changed but dress patterns haven't. My problem is that I have a 34 inch bust and a 30 inch waist. Patterns all come with a proportion of 34 bust to 26 waist or 38 bust to 30 waist. Is it possible to get a dress pattern to fit my body shape?

HapShawl Fri 13-May-16 15:47:09

You can adjust the larger pattern to get your size - that's the beauty of making your own clothing surely?

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Fri 13-May-16 16:13:19

I hate auto correct! Should be dressmakers!

Not really confident about adjusting patterns. Only have a basic knowledge and haven't done anything for 20 years.

lavendersun Fri 13-May-16 16:18:07

You can customise the pattern at Lekala

www.lekala.co

Must add though that I only ever bought one pattern from them and it wasn't the best (plus the directions were never translated).

HapShawl Fri 13-May-16 16:29:09

When you find a dress pattern you like, get one that includes your largest measurement, then cut out the largest template from the paper. You can then do a graduated fold of the paper in the places where you need a smaller size (don't cut as you may want to adjust later). You could then make a toile in cheap fabric to get an idea of where you need to reduce measurements

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now