Seam question

(6 Posts)
elephantoverthehill Sat 07-May-16 15:39:39

I am going to make this dress cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0566/6321/products/1212_F_large.jpg?v=1422107966
for my DD's year 6 prom. There is a waistline seam on the pattern, can anyone tell me if this is necessary or could join the pattern and make the front as one piece. I know this will need more fabric, but if I am using a patterned fabric I think it will look better. Thanks

lavendersun Sat 07-May-16 17:17:38

You won't be able to do that if the wafty bits are bias cut. Have a read of the pattern to see if the centre front lower section and side sections are cut on the bias.

elephantoverthehill Sat 07-May-16 17:22:48

Thanks Lavender they are both cut on the fold, one above the other, so I can't see the reason for it unless it is just a fashion detail. confused

lavendersun Sat 07-May-16 17:24:55

It will be fine then - you could always add the seam detail with some ribbon or some sort of trim if you wanted it. I often take seams out or add them in depending on how I feel and how much fabric I have or haven't got.

Berthatydfil Sat 07-May-16 17:27:02

It might be decorative.
Can you take out the pattern layout guide and see if the top and bottom run in the same direction or if the skirt is cut on the bias.
You may also get a hint if the back of the pattern says something like not suitable for fabric with a pattern match as if the skirt pieces are cut on the bias the pattern won't run true.
Also look out for any darts etc in the top or skirt piece as you won't be able to put those in if its cut in a single piece.
If it looks like it's all cut on the same direction then I would say you can graft the top onto the bottom - try tracing the pieces onto pattern paper.
You might also need to buy more fabric as that piece will need to be cut in one piece.

elephantoverthehill Sat 07-May-16 17:41:58

Thanks both, however I suspect I will have to give her ladyship the casting vote. It's been a while since I did any dressmaking and so am not as confident as I used to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now