Advanced search

Local artists & holiday lets

(2 Posts)
SuperUnicorn Thu 24-Mar-16 17:21:16

I've been thinking about asking some local artists if they would be interested in displaying some artwork in my holiday let.

What do I need to be aware of if I do this and what would be the best way to do it?

Ideally I would like them to provide me with a piece of art ready to hang on the wall with a price they would like for it. I would then display it in the holiday let until it either sold (do I ask for commission? If so how much?) or until they wanted it back. I would also pop their details in the guest information etc.

Do I need to have a contract for this? I guess I would need to check this was covered by my insurance too, ie what happens if it gets damaged.

Basically I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, it was just a thought I had the other day. Or should I just buy some artwork I like (or some local art and then price it to sell it on myself?).

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Thu 24-Mar-16 17:43:35

I've certainly seen this in restaurants and coffee bars, so it could work.

I think you might need some sort of written agreement setting out the conditions of their loan of their work to you, that you are authorised to sell it on their behalf, and what %age you get as commission (don't expect a lot).

And definitely check your insurance. Most people are honest, but there's far more opportunity for someone who isn't to nick from a let than from a bar. And of course you need a way to demonstrate to the insurance company the value of the piece that's gone walkies (unsupported asking price won't cut it, but photo showing size, and proof of price of other works of that scale by that artist should be OK).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now