Talk

Advanced search

I want to knit a baby shawl but I don't know what wool to use to be softer than soft...

(10 Posts)
DowntonIsMyHome Tue 22-Mar-16 22:24:33

I haven't found the pattern yet, but I plan to substitute the yarn for something super-soft.

it can't cost the earth, though...

any ideas? what's softest / er out of merino/alpaca/bamboo/cashmere? (and that also doesn't untwist as you use it!)

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 22-Mar-16 22:34:47

For "budget snuggley soft" I like the snowflake bambino but it is a bugger to knit with confused
The finished products are gorgeous, but it really does take patience and needs a bit of experience to work with.
Merino/cashmere/alpaca tend to be pretty expensive, unless you only need a small amount and can find a good deal online for a remnant/lot end batch. If you can find it, go for cashmere grin It is far and away the softest snuggliest wool there is!

TheFurryMenace Wed 23-Mar-16 08:10:32

I don't think you can go wrong with either stylecraft special dk, lovely and soft, fantastic colours and washes and tumble dries beautifully, cheap to boot. Or, go cotton, King Cole cotton soft is nice and reasonably priced.

tribpot Wed 23-Mar-16 08:14:52

Do you want it to be a natural fibre? Stylecraft is a good recommendation if not, or Sirdar Snuggly, which I like. For natural fibres that don't cost the earth, I would go for Cascade, either Heritage (4-ply) or 220 (somewhere between DK and Aran), 220 Superwash is closer to a DK. Heritage particularly is butter soft.

Personally I think baby blankets/shawls need to be able to take a lot of washing and I wouldn't go for merino/cashmere/alpaca at all. (Experience of having a puker).

bookbook Wed 23-Mar-16 08:23:48

Expensive = Baby Cashmerino - I have knitted a few things for my grandson with this and it is gorgeous, so soft!
Silk/Merino is beautiful as well - very fine , but also very expensive
Less Expensive = Baby Bamboo - not quite as nice a texture as it is cotton based, feels a bit 'thicker' IYSWIM but very soft and snuggly - I use it a lot for baby items as gifts

www.deramores.com/

bookbook Wed 23-Mar-16 08:25:30

Edited before posting! - the site I linked to often has special offers and end of lines smile

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-16 09:00:14

I would definitely go with washable!

Sirdar Snuggly baby bamboo is lovely - it's 80% bamboo, 20% wool - but its not a budget option. Shop around as Woolwarehouse is currently cheaper than Deramores for this I think.

A premium acrylic is a good choice for something that is going to be used frequently, thrown up on and washed a lot although it does pill.

Woolwarehouse stocks Drops yarn which is usually a good price - they do all sorts including alpaca and merino. Avoid the two cotton ones (Paris and Light) and I know they are very splitty!

tribpot Wed 23-Mar-16 19:46:52

Big warning about Deramores - they used to be excellent but the service has been appalling of late and orders are often delayed significantly as they are buying stock as they get the orders in. I just checked their Facebook page and the recent posts from visitors suggest things are better than they have been, but the Trustpilot reviews speak for themselves.

Woolwarehouse and Loveknitting are both excellent.

Newes Wed 23-Mar-16 19:48:20

Drops merino is very soft and squishy and washes well.

bookbook Wed 23-Mar-16 20:12:09

Oh, haven't used Deramores for a while - thanks for that. If I am honest, I bought my last lot of Sirdar Baby Bamboo from ebay , it was a considerable amount cheaper ( sadly.....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now