I'm doing this drawing exercise and I'm having trouble with the instructions

(9 Posts)
YesILikeItToo Wed 09-Mar-16 20:47:14

So I'm working on a page in this book. As you can see you have to draw one object five ways in quite short time limits. One of the ways is 'upside down'. What do you think she means? Object upside down? Paper upside down? Both? I tried drawing the thing upside down even though it was the right way up but that was bloody hard, don't think that's it.

WisestIsShe Thu 10-Mar-16 14:27:17

Sounds like the object upside down to me. Same shapes, different perspective? Can't see the point of turning the book upside down?

YesILikeItToo Thu 10-Mar-16 15:35:34

On the face of it, no point, although that's what I did for the first one, the controller, I turned them both upside down blush. To be fair to me, that's sometimes advocated I think when copying an image so as to challenge your preconceptions about what you are drawing. But inverting a three dimensional object is not the same thing as turning an image upside down AT ALL - as you point out with your perceptive perspective comment. In that case, I've got it right with the glass - I've drawn an upside down glass. I've got an onion still to do. Not sure it'll stay put the other way up!

WisestIsShe Thu 10-Mar-16 15:56:24

Are you enjoying the book? I always think I'll try and make time to learn to draw but somehow it evades me.

YesILikeItToo Thu 10-Mar-16 20:37:54

I am, I got in in Sainsbury's for a bargain price! I like the way I can draw right in it, later in there are pages where you work on drawings she's started. I'm looking at quite a few different resources for learning to draw, I have lots of ideas if you're interested!

WisestIsShe Thu 10-Mar-16 22:25:26

I am interested! I'll pop into Sainsbury's tomorrow to see if I can pick up a copy.

imsorryiasked Thu 10-Mar-16 22:29:59

I would have the object the right way up but draw it upside down. So if it was say an apple the stalk would be at the bottom of the sheet of paper.

YesILikeItToo Fri 11-Mar-16 10:28:56

That's what I was saying was sooooooooooooooooo hard, sorry. But, I think you might be right, because looking at some of her example objects they are not things that could safely be turned upside down. Pot plant, dog. So I tried it your way again with the onion, I got on a bit better than with the ball of wool.

Wisest if you snag a copy and get to this page, you can share your results! I have been working on a number of different books and projects, and I'm really getting a lot out of it.

It means that YOU must be upside down when you're drawing it.

Somewhere else in the book it says that you must also get video of you doing this and then post it to Mumsnet. You have to trust me on this one.

>gets popcorn and settles down< grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now