Talk

Advanced search

Dress pattern...

(17 Posts)
teacherwith2kids Sun 06-Mar-16 14:35:46

DD (13) and I were doing some dress-browsing yesterday, and frankly came to the conclusion that making her own might be better (both she and i are fairly handy with the sewing machine).

What she would like is a dress probably best described as a 'longer skater style' - plain, probably sleeveless princess-seamed top, circular skirt that joins smoothly to the bodice rather than being gathered or pleated - that can be made up in a light cotton or similar but (importantly) isn't too short.

Can anyone suggest a good pattern from a tried and tested manufacturer? The ones I've found are very short. She's probably better off in an adult size 8ish rather than a child's pattern, but a teen one would be OK.

teacherwith2kids Sun 06-Mar-16 14:40:28

(Actually, doesn't have to be princess-seamed - bust darts would also be fine. this is closeish, though the skirt is skimpy - you can see that it is above knee but not short short)

crockydoodle Sun 06-Mar-16 20:24:58

My 11 yr old has a dress this shape from primark. She's wearing an age 13 which is a good length. It was cheap too.

teacherwith2kids Sun 06-Mar-16 20:33:19

Ah, I should have explained.

She's got a keen interest in all things textiles, including dressmaking / costume design. (She dances. I make some of her costumes at the moment, but I can see that shifting over the coming few years.) She'd love to get her teeth into dressmaking using a pattern as a step towards this, and this was a style that a) she liked and b) would be interesting in terms of fit, fabric selection etc. We did realise that if we searched long enough, we would find a commercial one that was OK, but the idea of making it for herself really appealed.

pastmyduedate0208 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:43:42

This one here depicts a striped pattern but can be made in plain fabric.

pastmyduedate0208 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:45:21

Vogue dresses generally are quite good.

pastmyduedate0208 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:58:55

Green street and Walthamstow High street in London.

pastmyduedate0208 Sun 06-Mar-16 20:59:23

Oooops ignore above post

lavendersun Sun 06-Mar-16 21:38:31

Village Haberdashery have some nice designers, if you search by women and dress there are a few that might suit.

www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/sewing-patchwork/sewing-patterns?pattern_subject=263&pattern_type=261

KatyN Sun 06-Mar-16 22:40:21

Have you looked at lekala? They have loads of styles and they adjust the pattern to fit you. They also have a sale on at the mo.

ATailofTwoKitties Sun 06-Mar-16 22:47:18

One like this 'easy' Vogue pattern?

Katymac Sun 06-Mar-16 22:48:55

That is lovely - really nice options

teacherwith2kids Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:55

ATail,

That is EXACTLY what we were looking for - perfect! Thank you so much :-)

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 07-Mar-16 21:45:19

You're very welcome!

EATmum Tue 08-Mar-16 05:10:38

The Colette Moneta dress might be a good option - it's straightforward to make. I've made 2, and my DD (14) is making one for herself. She clearly wants to look like me smile (not at all ...)

flightywoman Tue 08-Mar-16 16:42:05

One other option is the Kitschy Coo Lady Skater - it's a decent length and super easy to make - I've done it 5 times so far!

teawamutu Mon 21-Mar-16 07:42:19

By Hand London's Anna. I'm wearing mine today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now