Talk

Advanced search

Sewing inspiration for DD13

(8 Posts)
Waitingfordolly Thu 03-Mar-16 18:46:27

DD wants to start sewing - she's interested in fashion so she wants to make clothes - I've done a bit of Googling but not really come up with any inspiration - can anyone suggest any teen blogs / websites / resources etc. that she can look at for ideas and tips etc.?

It would be nice if she could make something she could actually wear but it needs to be more stylish than the weird things I used to make as a teenager!

slicedfinger Thu 03-Mar-16 18:50:11

The are loads of good sewing blogs, and small shops selling nice patterns that are a bit different, and unusual fabrics.

I like this one. Tilly and the Buttons, nice pyjama pattern

Waitingfordolly Thu 03-Mar-16 19:00:55

Thanks! I wondered about starting with pyjamas as she doesn't have to wear them in public!

backinpurple Sat 05-Mar-16 09:59:17

I should think it likely that the two holes are more to do with the yellow thread being wound onto the piece of plastic in the first place. The piece of plastic probably slotted onto a machine using the holes. I think it's just a 'nice' thread holder for a sewing kit or similar?

backinpurple Sat 05-Mar-16 10:02:59

Whoops...wrong thread!!

re your daughter, how about this book or would that be a bit too advanced?

TheMagicToyshop Sat 05-Mar-16 10:05:56

Had she got a Pinterest account? There are lots of stylish beginners patterns and sewing ideas on there, and it's fun to create a board for inspiration.

Waitingfordolly Sat 05-Mar-16 13:30:16

Thanks backinpurple it might be a bit advanced for now but looks like it would be good in the future, she would love to create some of her own things.

She hasn't got Pinterest Toyshop, it's all snapchat and Instagram, but I will suggest it to her.

Thanks for the ideas. I worked out it's 20 years since I did any sewing so I feel completely out of it. I'd like to start again too!

EATmum Tue 08-Mar-16 05:15:05

My daughter has made a couple things from the Tilly and the Buttons book and I'd recommend. Her patterns are very clear and she has some online workshops you can buy, though I've not done them so don't really know what they're like.
If she's a YouTuber, she might like the vlog that Lisa Comfort from Sew Over It does - makes me feel old so I was going to recommend it to my DD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now