Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone make or buy Kuawaii cabochon?

(6 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 16-Feb-16 18:10:33

Dd wants to decorate a phone case so we started looking at buying some cabochon online but now she thinks she wants to make her own.

We've watched some tutorials and some people seem to mix some liquid stuff into moulds and then it hardens and can be painted. Other people seem to use polymer clay type stuff in moulds and then bake. Is one better than the other? Can you use white clay and then paint it? Ive only seen coloured clay being used. What sort of paint is best to use, acrylic?

Do you buy moulds or do you buy a cabochon and use that to make a mould out of clay???

Any websites you'd recommend for supplies or tutorials or any physical shops in London?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 16-Feb-16 20:00:42

Anyone?

LadyDeadpool Wed 17-Feb-16 15:41:31

I haven't made a phone case but I use a lot of polymer clay, you can shape it into anything think of it like adult play doh you then bake in a low temp oven wrapped in tin foil to stop it burning.

I've just had a quick look at the phone cases and you could use the polymer clay to make the actual decorations and then glue gun then onto your backing. You can get polymer clay quite cheap in sets on ebay.

Polymer clay is probably your best bet if she wants to make the decorations herself as it is quite tough its part plastic so can take some abuse.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 17-Feb-16 18:01:37

Thanks, looks like polymer clay would be good. Is that the same as fimo?

LadyDeadpool Wed 17-Feb-16 20:40:23

Yes basically but without the brand name on it. this set is what I brought and use and its fine just keep it in a sandwich bag to stop it drying out and you have to keep working it for a few minutes to get it soft enough to manipulate.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 17-Feb-16 21:01:44

Thanks, will get some ordered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now