Talk

Advanced search

Washing & Drying Stylecraft DK

(12 Posts)
springlenner Mon 08-Feb-16 22:41:34

I crocheted a massive Cozy Blanket following Attic24s pattern last year. It's fab and huge ( think I used 27 balls of wool)
Anyhow, it's in need of a wash and I don't want to damage my months of work if it is going to get destroyed in the dryer....
I made a smaller baby ripple blanket, also in Stylecraft DK and it came out of the washing machine kind of " plasticky" so I was afraid to put it in the dryer.... Has anyone any experience of how best to wash with this yarn? Thanks !all tips appreciated

Dutchoma Tue 09-Feb-16 08:19:23

The ball band says 40 degrees and cool tumble dry. I think I would do 30 degrees, and spin, then dry flat but not tumble dry as it is pure acrylic. You may need a launderette industrial washing machine though.

FranHastings Tue 09-Feb-16 11:46:30

I've tumble dryed Stylecraft Special DK many times and it has come out very soft, but I would say 'floppy' as I guess the acrylic has been 'killed' a bit.

It does come out of the washer feeling plasticky, I agree. That does go with the dryer. I remember hovering anxiously by the dryer when I washed mine. Have you got a low heat setting?

FranHastings Tue 09-Feb-16 11:47:10

I hovered anxiously when I *dried mine!

FranHastings Tue 09-Feb-16 11:48:17

Have you got any Stylecraft left? You could crochet a couple of granny squares and do a test wash / dry?

PlaymobilPirate Tue 09-Feb-16 11:53:41

I've just washed a cream and navy stylecraft blanket - I was terrified it'd run but it's fine! It's a bit scratchy so I'm going to put it back in with a load of softener.

I've made a few star blankets in Stylecraft / Women's Institute acrylic which I've washed and pinned to the carpet to dry and 'block' and they're fab!

PlaymobilPirate Tue 09-Feb-16 11:54:29

By the way - if you're on FB I'd recommend a group called 'Chit Chat and Crochet' bloody brilliant for advice smile

PurpleFrog Tue 09-Feb-16 12:16:40

I have washed blankets I have crocheted in Stylecraft Special DK. (You don't say which Stylecraft DK you have used.) I have washed at 30 degrees on a delicate wash and conditioned with comfort pure and dried flat. I wouldn't tumble dry acrylic. It always feels a bit squeaky when first out of the machine but dries soft.

springlenner Tue 09-Feb-16 23:23:53

Great, thanks! Good idea FranHastings I have tons of Stylecraft left - in fact am in the middle of my next project based on Attic 24s solid granny squares so have about 100 tiny squares in various colours floating about. It's Stylecraft Special DK PurpleFrog
I think it would fit in my washing machine alright - just about. But quite big to dry flat - I don't know where in my house I could lay it flat.. It just needs freshening really, so maybe a quick wash at 30C and a cool tumble dry ( while watching like a hawk!)
I'll report back!

springlenner Tue 09-Feb-16 23:25:05

Ooh and PlaymobilPirate off to sign up to the Facebook group now!

SoupDragon Wed 10-Feb-16 21:10:59

I put my Stylecraft blanket in for a short tumble dry just to fluff it a bit.

PolterGoose Sat 13-Feb-16 18:21:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now