Talk

Advanced search

What colour thread for quilting a multicoloured quilt?

(10 Posts)
Palomb Mon 08-Feb-16 21:18:59

I am making my dd a very amateur version of this Harry Potter quilt and I am at the stage where I've make the quilt sandwich so I am thinking of doing all the quilting over the next few weeks

Should I use different colours for each quarter or just black?

AntiqueSinger Tue 09-Feb-16 09:11:16

Can you upload a picture? Difficult to say without seeing it. But I'm inclined to say go with the different colours for each quarter if that makes the stitching blend better. Sounds interesting!

Palomb Tue 09-Feb-16 09:57:04

Sorry I though I had added a picture blush

It's like this (but not as neat!)

AntiqueSinger Tue 09-Feb-16 16:30:49

Ohh what a lovely quilt! And who cares that it's 'not as neat'. I'm sure your DD will love it. At least you've done it, and it has your love in it. Non-sewers often don't see the mistakes that those who are sewers do anyway. We just get hung up on perfection instead of looking at the overall work. (Note to self: take own advice). I think your version will be equally as lovely and, if anything, more interesting!

I can see in the picture that the person quilted it in straight lines using a neutral thread - possibly a mid to light grey? Can't see fine detail properly. I take it you're planning to quilt each block individually? In which case I would use different colour threads especially for the yellows and greens. Hopefully a more experienced quilter may turn up with more advice re actual quilting, but that is what I would do. If you're planning to quilt it the same way as the picture then I would go for a subtle grey thread.

HTHsmile.

Palomb Tue 09-Feb-16 17:01:27

Thank you for your lovely comments! grin to be honest this is the first quilt I have ever made and it's a bit daunting! I had planned to 'stitch in the ditch' ( is that right ?!) and then stitch each 6" square in to quarters but we've only got a little kids Janome machine, I hope it'll manage.

AntiqueSinger Tue 09-Feb-16 18:23:33

It's a great first quilt! I find the quilting part the most nerve wracking, just because you put all that effort into piecing the top and then you start thinking you'll screw it up in the quilting bit. But it will be fine, even if there are some 'mistakes'. Your DD will hopefully have something she can keep and share with her own children one day!

Just go slow. Quilting in the ditch is fine, but can require lots of pivoting which is difficult esp with a small machine with a very small throat space. I have to say straight lines starting from the middle diagonal corner is the easiest, as it requires less wrangling in the machine.

Anyway as I've seen before, once you start quilting you'll be addicted for life and you'll get better and better.

As some motivation, maybe treat yourself to a bigger sewing machine after you finish?grin

Palomb Tue 09-Feb-16 19:19:15

Yes I'm going to ask dh for a bigger machine for my birthday in May smile

I do hope it ends with dd having something she can keep forever. I will post a picture if I ever finish it!

mrsooomoo Tue 09-Feb-16 20:25:20

You could quilt with Invisible Sewing Thread, which comes in clear and colours?

www.cottonpatch.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=Invisible+Sewing+Thread&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go!

Palomb Tue 09-Feb-16 20:32:57

Ooh that's a good idea, thank you. Have you used it yourself?

mrsooomoo Tue 09-Feb-16 22:18:21

Yes I have. It's quite slippery. It was a while ago that I used it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now