Talk

Advanced search

Cross Stitching newbie

(15 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Tue 26-Jan-16 17:36:31

I've caught the bug after being inspired by a work colleague (who has done the most incredible ones!), and have started a kit for a friends new baby.

Now when Im in Asda and Tesco im chucking floss and aida into the trolley in place of wine and chocolate.

I've started a Pinterest board of ideas, and am watching a few kits on ebay.

Anyone else really into Cross Stitch? Fancy uploading photos of what youve done?

ArthurShappey Wed 27-Jan-16 16:43:56

I'm a cross stitcher. I stitch most nights. I also watch far too much floss tube (if you haven't discovered it yet, go to YouTube and search for Carolyn Mazzeo, Dee Stitcher, The Lovely Array, Jennifer Apodaca, Teresa Little Stitcher, Stash Queen to name but a few).

I don't want to post pictures of much of my work because I don't want to be identifiable. I'm wondering if I'm your colleague. wink My colleagues (who are probably MNers too) are always fascinated to see what I've been stitching on the train. But I'll share one, a quick one I rustled up that they haven't seen.

If you're on Instagram PM me and I'll give you my Instagram name where you can see more. smile I'm also on Pinterest but don't put my own work on that, I just pin ideas.

Happy cross stitching. You won't get lots of responses, on the whole I don't think its a MN thing.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 17:21:29

Oh I love that! I also j'aime fromage so I may add that to my list of stuff to do.

I will look for some floss tube.

Probably not my colleague as I dont think any of mine (bar probs one!) are MNers but I suppose you never know!

I will PM you about Instagram.

ArthurShappey Wed 27-Jan-16 17:54:32

I've PMed you my Instagram and my Pinterest name. There's not much on Instagram yet. I've been stitching for 8 years but up until recently it was my secret hobby (only family new, I didn't even get them framed, just put them away in boxes, except for birth samplers which I've always done for relatives as gifts). I've recently come out of the closet with my 'old lady' hobby and it's been received well. Like I said my colleagues regularly ask to see what I'm up to and visitors to my house are complimentary of my framed work.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 17:55:51

Haha yes my sister thinks I just "need to go out and get rat-arsed" to rid me of the Old Lady tendancies!

ArthurShappey Wed 27-Jan-16 18:01:23

Show her this. Sorry it's a daily mail link but this hobby is making a comeback! smile

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 18:03:22

Oh excellent! She is a trailblazer wrt to trends, moreso than me her fru.py big sister so glad to know im in the lead with this one.

gobbymare Wed 27-Jan-16 18:08:42

I am a cross stitch addict !
I stitch most nights anything from samplers to Christmas cushions and anything in between.

Snoopadoop Wed 27-Jan-16 18:12:10

gobby Lovely stitching! smile I am particularly fond of your Christmas cushions.

gobbymare Wed 27-Jan-16 18:14:27

Thank you...They are vervaco kits.
Really easy to do as they have the picture printed on so easy enough to stitch and watch TV.

ArthurShappey Wed 27-Jan-16 18:17:33

Love them gobby. I've not heard of Vervaco so I'm off to have a look. I mainly download patterns to my iPad. I'm a big fan of etsy for downloadable patterns.

CentreYourCheese Wed 27-Jan-16 18:21:04

I am obsessed by cross stitching, been trying various different hobbies for a few years and this one is the only one I have stuck with. I don't like the kits (just a personal preference), so I find an image I like and then convert to a cross stitch pattern (just google "photo to cross stitch"), or I adapt what other people have done. I like geeky stuff, so have done Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR themed stuff so far, and have a David Bowie one in my to do list.

My top tips are (1) buy the cheap thread from ebay or Amazon whilst you are starting out and bobbins and a box to organise them (2) buy decent needles (3) don't spend lots on fancy frames and hoops (4) don't ever buy black cross stitch fabric - my eyes!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 27-Jan-16 18:21:55

I cross stitch too but haven't done much lately other than a couple of baby presents. You're making me itch to get started again. I find it very soothing, almost meditative, but the problem is I stitch more than I can display as it's so expensive to frame (I've a few I framed in their hoops and that works well but a I've several finished pieces that are too big.) I need to make cushions or something useful out if the rest but the sewing up of those is boring compared to seeing the picture emerge! Don't want to share pics on here in case someone I know recognises them, but I recommend Pinterest too; also the Mr X Stitch blog if you like edgy rather than traditional stuff. I don't think it's an old lady hobby any more: just discovered yesterday that Henry Worsley, the explorer who died this week crossing the Antarctic, did needlepoin. He started when posted to combat zones and later taught prisoners stitching skills via Fine Cell Work. About as far from an old lady as you can get!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 27-Jan-16 18:23:21

Sorry for multiple typos, on iPad. Hopefully you get the gist!

ArthurShappey Wed 27-Jan-16 18:27:13

don't ever buy black cross stitch fabric - my eyes!

You are so not wrong!!! I am in the middle of a 'tooth fairy' cushion for DS and its lots of blues on Navy blue linen. I can't do it except in bright sunlight and can't do it for long. Thank goodness we have no wobbly teeth yet, else I'd have to make progress with it sharpish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now