Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used downloadable sewing patterns?

(13 Posts)
slicedfinger Sun 24-Jan-16 11:56:32

I've just started sewing again after many years, and have seen loads of really nice downloadable sewing patterns online.

Are they worth the pfaff? One I was just looking at needed 50 sheets of A4, which I'd then have to tape together. Is it madness?

lavendersun Sun 24-Jan-16 20:28:37

I have used a few. They are worth it if you absolutely love the pattern and can't find the same elsewhere but I prefer to buy paper to be honest.

This is nice, very simple - and free, I have made it longer with pin tucks, as the pattern and without a fold.

www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/sorbetto

I can't recommend Lekala patterns, you can custom them online for your measurements but the two I bought were not very well thought out and the instructions were not in English and never supplied to me in English despite a few e-mails.

The actual printing and sticking isn't too bad, I did mine on the sitting room floor in an evening.

slicedfinger Mon 25-Jan-16 11:25:50

Wow, I had no idea you could get free ones! I may be about to lose many hours in google... Thank you!

lavendersun Mon 25-Jan-16 12:40:30

My tip for free things would be to download from a well regarded designer.

Look at sew box or village haberdashery, they both stock really nice new designers and sometimes the designer will have something free on their web page.

I am hardly qualified to talk about sewing these days, have had such a busy few months I have hardly done anything!

MinniesMate Tue 26-Jan-16 10:53:41

I've used several downloadable patterns, for clothing and bags.

I really like them. Once you've taped the pattern together you have a much sturdier pattern for cutting out. I also find that the directions can be much clearer than the shop bought patterns.

For a good range of free patterns look at So Sew Easy. Many patterns come with a video to watch.

Coldtoeswarmheart Wed 27-Jan-16 22:34:46

Yes, I've used them and I like them. I usually trace my paper patterns to preserve them, so printing them saves me a fiddly job!

slicedfinger Mon 01-Feb-16 10:12:54

Lots to look at thanks so much!

GetMeOut Mon 01-Feb-16 18:49:36

Yes, I've used them and like them. I started with a really simple one though ( a hat - only 6 pages ! )- the beanie hat on Named Clothing.
I've just noticed that there are a lot of free patterns to download on the fold line.com. Search by 'free'. I haven't tried them but I will. Several tops so hopefully only about 20 pages. Arm yourself with lots of selling tape !

GetMeOut Mon 01-Feb-16 18:53:21

Sellotape might be even more useful smile

GiraffesCantDoMentalArithmetic Tue 02-Feb-16 22:00:18

I prefer them. I get in a state with the huge sheets of tissue paper in the paper patterns! Also, because they're made of thicker paper (once you put them together) they're more robust. And. If you want the same pattern in different sizes you can just print it again.

BTW, because the pattern paper is thicker, I don't pin it to the fabric. I use pattern weights and a rotary cutter.

patchworkchick Wed 03-Feb-16 23:35:04

I've used angelakane.com pattern and it was great, lots of bag patterns and smaller items. Have just printed off the bailen dress, its free too www.paulinealicepatterns.com/bailen-topdress

gasman Thu 04-Feb-16 09:35:32

Yes.

Next time I use one though I'm going to pay the local copy shop to print it on a0 it isn't very expensive and is less than a morning of my time and a roll of Sellotape!

fortifiedwithtea Thu 04-Feb-16 17:45:52

I use Jalie Patterns because I sew figure skating costumes a lot but they do make other clothes besides.

I like them because it means I can still get out of print patterns in pdf form. Newer patterns are multi-sized as are all Jalie patterns but with added bonus of being in colour. Colour makes pattern alteration and cutting out so much easier.

My tip for using Jalie is download your patterns to your e-drive, don't use them direct from your Jalie account as you are only given 5 printings that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now