What do you call material that starts one colour and shades into another?

(12 Posts)
Katymac Fri 22-Jan-16 10:47:03

I'm looking for some material that shades over several colours/tones - possibly georgette?

But was is it called?

OP’s posts: |
CurlsLDN Fri 22-Jan-16 10:49:39

I would call the colour effect ombre, but do you mean the fabric type?

Katymac Fri 22-Jan-16 10:52:24

Nope the colour effect - I thought Ombre too

But most of the material I've seen it's across the width of the material & I really need it over the length!

OP’s posts: |
RidersOnTheStorm Fri 22-Jan-16 10:58:48

Dip dyed.

Katymac Fri 22-Jan-16 11:09:53

yes that might work or maybe Wallpaper!

OP’s posts: |
fortifiedwithtea Thu 04-Feb-16 17:55:16

Katy, are you sewing for your daughter again? You probably know this site already so apologies for teaching granny to suck eggs but DSI London has some lovely colour combinations in georgette. The term is ombre but DSI just has them listed under 'shaded'. They also have shaded circles if that helps.

Katymac Thu 04-Feb-16 20:06:28

Thanks - it was for a backdrop for some modelling she is doing.....just not yet

But think we are doing i with paint now

The DSI stuff is very thin & we'd need loads to make a back drop!! & I'd completely forgotten about it - I looked & lusted back when she was doing ballroom!! but couldn't afford blush


OP’s posts: |
fortifiedwithtea Thu 04-Feb-16 22:37:46

Oh that explains the wallpaper commentgrin

I love DSI. Currently lusting after some shaded 4 way stretch velvet. DD has a competition on a particularly cold ice rink coming up.

Katymac Fri 05-Feb-16 10:08:21

Exciting - what pattern?

OP’s posts: |
fortifiedwithtea Fri 05-Feb-16 16:15:38

Not sure. Her music is Piano Guys version of A Thousand Years. I'm desperate to use the shaded velvet turquoise to sapphire (with matching Swarovski crystals) . The pattern is going to be a compromise between what DD likes and what her coach wants.

TowerRavenSeven Wed 10-Feb-16 17:32:24


Katymac Wed 10-Feb-16 20:35:40

Thanks Tower - but we are using paint now

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in