Talk

Advanced search

crochet - joining up each line

(10 Posts)
mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Mon 18-Jan-16 20:34:05

Trying to teach myself to crochet. Once I have joined up the line and am starting the next one I am doing three slip stitch then two double crochet. On each of the others I am doing three double crochet.

However that wedge of three never looks as neat as the others, it looks a bit gappy between the double crochets and the chain of 3.

Does that make sense?! Am I doing it right?

RiaOverTheRainbow Mon 18-Jan-16 20:42:49

A chain in place of a dc/treble won't look exactly the same, but if it's at the edge or corner it shouldn't be too obvious. If the chain is too long compared to the dc you could try just chaining two. If you're using a new colour you can do a standing stitch which will look neater.

SilverHawk Mon 18-Jan-16 21:00:30

You are doing it right. Perhaps make your chain a little tighter then you would on a foundation row.

itallsucks Wed 20-Jan-16 09:37:12

Depending on what wool I'm using I sometimes find it looks better with a ch2 at the start instead of a ch3, it still doesn't look as good as the rest but a little less noticeable

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jan-16 09:43:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tribpot Wed 20-Jan-16 09:45:51

You can do a chainless starting double crochet, it's a bit fiddly and I don't think it looks significantly better, except when the next instruction is, say, 2 more chains.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Wed 20-Jan-16 20:40:50

Thank you. I've been teaching myself via you tube so not sure if I am doing US or UK! But I bought some different yarn today and have tried following someone else who does less chain stitches in corners and in between and it is looking less baggy. I am doing granny squares going round. I think it's possibly just a case of more practise too. I did try getting a book out of the library but I do find it easier to follow a video ( until they fast forward!)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 20-Jan-16 20:53:34

for granny squares I try to work it so I start in a corner and do the chains to get the height and squeeze in another stitch, then do the chains/dc around as normal, then when you come to the last bit (back in the corner where you started) you already have the last two of that corner done, and the standing chain is not nearly so obvious as it is more in the middle of the corner cluster.

so I'd do the centre 12 dc/trebles and ss them into a round, then do the round of corners by doing the first corner as a standing chain and a dc/treble, two chain, (3dc/treble 2 chain 3dc/treble) ..in the other three corners, then as you finish the last corner you have 3 d/treble 2 chain and 1 dc/treble, and ss along to the next gap.

if any of that makes sense!!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 20-Jan-16 20:57:26

and it sound like you are doing US terms

we have ss/chain/double crochet, treble, double treble etc
they've ss/chain/sc/double crochet/treble

we have a half treble too, between dc and treble, but it completely escapes me what they call that just now.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Wed 20-Jan-16 21:02:00

Yes that does make sense thank you, will give that a try. Am trying really hard to keep my tension the same too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now