Talk

Advanced search

advice re framing finished cross stitch

(6 Posts)
IfItIsntOkItIsntTheEnd Mon 11-Jan-16 12:34:42

I have finally finished the cross stitch pattern I got for Christmas (last year!!)

Feel I should know - but don't!! How should I go about framing it? What do I need? Do I mount it on one of those cards with a window first, then put into a frame?

Pigeonpost Mon 11-Jan-16 12:38:34

How big is it? The 'proper' way of framing embroidery is to cut a piece of mount board the same size as the piece of glass then sew the finished piece over the card (put the card on the face down fabric, make sure the design is centered then stitch top to bottom and side to side making sure the tension is even). However, I am a lazy cow so I just cut the fabric to the size of the glass and then sandwich it all in. Or if I'm using a frame with a mount I sellotape the fabric to the mount, that helps with the tension too. Don't forget to give it a good iron first. If you have stubborn creases from a hoop/frame then a quick handwash will help.

OurBlanche Mon 11-Jan-16 12:45:21

Attach to mount board. Find frame, one of those box frames in a charity shop is good.

Place item slightly above centre, centred it will always look too low. The distance from side to frame should be the same as top to frame with bottom to frame being deeper.

Throw the glass away, it cause problems with fabric and cottons.

Paint the frame as you like it. You can paint each of the side 'spacers' a different colour if you like smile

IfItIsntOkItIsntTheEnd Tue 12-Jan-16 14:00:43

Thank you!

Pigeonpost Tue 12-Jan-16 23:17:50

I've been framing cross stitched pieces behind glass for 20 years and never had an issues. Guess it depends what sort of a look you are going for. No glass would look 'softer' I guess.

OurBlanche Wed 13-Jan-16 07:50:58

Oh! I don't do cross stitch (I fuse material, make 'fabric art' smile) so maybe it is more a case of the combined materials. But it seems to be a common piece of advice in the courses I have been on.

Horses for courses I suppose smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now