Talk

Advanced search

Attic24 ripple blanket experts/experienced crocheters - help!

(17 Posts)
butterandcrumpets Sun 10-Jan-16 19:10:19

Dh got me the ripple blanket kit for Christmas and I have just started it. Have done foundation chain (double length) and am at end of first row. Have done my last set of 4 tr and should no 2tr in last chain. I have two chains left though. I can't see any obvious errors so maybe I have miscounted my foundation chain? Is there anything I can do? Shall I just skip a chain and do the 2tr then? Please don't tell me I have to unravel grin

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jan-16 19:16:06

I'd definitely do the two trebles in the last chain. You'll never see it. I hate foundation chains!

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 10-Jan-16 19:17:23

If you can't see any errors then it is possible that you miscounted your foundation chain and just did one too many.

I would either bend the last two chains together so you work through them together, or just work into the next chain and leave the last one uncorked - it will get covered up/worked over when you do your border.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 10-Jan-16 19:18:33

Uncorked blush - <eyes glass of wine> I meant unworked.

butterandcrumpets Sun 10-Jan-16 19:22:12

Thank you, purple, will do that. Yes, I hate them too. I read the other day that there is a way to do chainless trebles/doubles as your first row (absolute beginner here) so will look this up on youtube.

butterandcrumpets Sun 10-Jan-16 19:24:27

Sorry, didn't see your post, woolly. That sounds good too. Didn't think of the border.

SoupDragon Sun 10-Jan-16 20:54:33

You can just undo the unused chain and then darn the end in securely. I've actually seen a recommendation to chain a length appropriate for the size of blanket you want to make plus a bit, and then undo the unused chains at the end - mostly because counting that foundation row is a complete pain!

Which is where the chaonless foundation comes in smile I start all of my ripple blankets off like this now. However, it's not for the complete beginner as, although not really complicated, it does take a bit of concentration. You need to work out how to do a straight chainless foundation row before tackling a ripple one. It is. Technique well worth learning.

RoosterCogburn Mon 11-Jan-16 14:04:06

I never count foundation chains, I'm far too lazy - I leave a long tail at the start and then either add a couple of chains if needed or undo any spare

PolterGoose Mon 11-Jan-16 16:47:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WeeseKeysAreThese Sat 16-Jan-16 14:22:25

I came here to post this exact thing. I'm so pleased you can unpick the foundation chain, it's sending me potty!

temporarilyjerry Sat 16-Jan-16 18:09:05

Dh got me the ripple blanket kit for Christmas.

Mine got me an external hard drive. envy

P1nkP0ppy Sun 17-Jan-16 20:19:35

I had real problems with this pattern so much so that after 9 attempts I gave up and am doing the cosy blanket pattern instead.
My very crochet-experienced friend said she gave up with the attic24 version of a ripple blanket because it didn't work out for her, so I reckoned there was little chance of me achieving it!

dontstopmenow Sun 17-Jan-16 21:13:35

Im guessing you've looked at the help on Lucy's website :
attic24.typepad.com/weblog/ripple-blanket-know-how.html
I haven't started my ripple blanket yet but have book marked this for when I do!! Good luck!

SoupDragon Sun 17-Jan-16 21:21:23

The most common error with the ripple is not doing 2 TC into the turning chain at the end of a row. That and not counting carefully but that's easy to keep an eye on smile

WeeseKeysAreThese Mon 18-Jan-16 12:04:59

I managed 6 rows so far by chaining a few more and unpicking (absolute genius people of MN!) you do need to concentrate in this one far more but it looks brill very quickly. I did the granny stripes and that was easypeasy by contrast.

tribpot Mon 18-Jan-16 12:10:18

The ripple becomes much easier once you've got the rhythm of the pattern and a few rows done, so you can see much more easily what's meant to go where to keep the ripple rippling.

Foundationless double crochet, although I'm not sure this would exactly work for the ripple as you're straight away into doing the increases and decreases that cause the ripple effect.

SoupDragon Mon 18-Jan-16 13:11:54

You need t master that straight chainless foundation before you attempt the one for a ripple - as you say, you need to fit all the decreases and increases in as well as making the chain! It's straightforward but needs concentration as you need to remember whether the stitch would have gone into a chain or not.

When doing a ripple, I make sure I check all my increases neatly stack on the ones below. This helps minimise mistakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now