Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

crochet...

(14 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Fri 01-Jan-16 15:38:21

I really want to learn!!
I've bought a book called Edwards menagerie (because they look super cute!)
Someone has given me a 4mm hook and some wool.
But I have no idea where to start or anything!
Does anyone have any tips?!
Thanks in advance! smile X

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 01-Jan-16 15:42:02

I want to learn too but don't know how best to start.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Fri 01-Jan-16 15:45:18

Think I'm going to join a class smile
Seems best way to get started!
And in watching YouTube videos like mad!

PolterGoose Fri 01-Jan-16 15:47:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChipInTheSugar Fri 01-Jan-16 15:53:04

Lots of free crochet books on Kindle at the mo. And I second Attic24, and the Crochet Crowd (but the latter is American and they call stitches different names to UK)

HeyMacWey Fri 01-Jan-16 15:57:21

I learnt by following happyberrycrochet on YouTube. I find her directions really easy to follow - she has lots of 'basics' videos to get you started.
Attic 24 is great for inspiration - I'm just finishing one of her beautiful ripple blankets.

Flossyfloof Fri 01-Jan-16 18:07:09

I teach crochet. Am in East Midlands. Special race for Mumsnetters. ( I just made that up but it can be arranged...)

Tate15 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:50:16

Diagrams helped me.

Akire Fri 01-Jan-16 18:55:24

You need something basic to get going. I have the similar book in knit it's not easy! I would second attic 24 lots easy pictures abd written clear English. You want to start making a granny square or flower so you master the basic stitches -chain stitch-slip- increase and decrease. Then you will be flying.

If you attempt something to big to soon you can get easily frustrated or get to the end having mastered it and think most of it looks rubbish! Crochet is one skill that you can pick up very quickly once get hand of holding hook and wool. I love it!

P1nkP0ppy Fri 01-Jan-16 19:00:16

I'm a complete novice and have just started an Attic24 ripple blanket. It's a simple pattern but I thought I'd bitten off more than I can chew earlier....seems to be going better now smile

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 01-Jan-16 19:00:31

Yes to Attic24, also there's a crochet section on a website called Learn to Knit which is very good. I never really got in with Youtube for stitches and patterns but found it helpful for learning how to hold the wool and hook (there are various ways but getting it right for you makes a big difference).

GeoffreysGoat Fri 01-Jan-16 19:10:27

I got Edward's for Christmas, but I already crochet. I just need to finish a pair of trousers and join a blanket them I'm starting something for each of my boys grin

Look At What I Made is very clear and we'll written www.lookatwhatimade.net/free-crochet-patterns-tutorials/

Tate15 Fri 01-Jan-16 19:22:09

Diagrams for basics

m.dummies.com/topics/crafts-hobbies/Crocheting/Stitches.html

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 02-Jan-16 18:01:33

I learnt from a booklet called "crochet unraveled" and sadly haven't looked back... It's an addiction smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now