We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crochet help needed - Pinapple Shawl

(8 Posts)
CallieTorres Thu 31-Dec-15 16:41:33

Pinapple Shawl

Ok - am stuck on the first bit, i know how to DC etc, but what should R1 looks like? Why has she put the bits in brackets?

Shawl:
R1: ch4, [1dc, ch1, 2dc, ch1, 2dc, ch1, 2dc] in the 4th ch from the hook, turn
R2: ch3, 1shell in 1st chsp, (ch2, 1shell in next chsp) x2, 1dc in the last dc, turn

tribpot Thu 31-Dec-15 16:45:24

Not sure why it's in square brackets, but you're meant to do all those stitches in the same loop from the chain of 4. At least that's how I read it. Maybe the square brackets are there to indicate 'don't go trying to put all these stitches in different loops' although you can't anyway, because there aren't any more to work in.

CallieTorres Thu 31-Dec-15 16:49:26

ok, thanks.....

CallieTorres Thu 31-Dec-15 16:50:06

do i need to Ch3 instead of 1DC in the first instance?

tribpot Thu 31-Dec-15 16:51:48

Yes, you chain 4, the first is the stitch to work in and the other 3 are the turning chain, equivalent to one DC. So it should look like a fan of 8DCs, grouped in 4 sets of 2. The first DC is actually a chain 3 but it's near enough.

CallieTorres Thu 31-Dec-15 17:08:07

oh i cant get this started, i must have tried at least 17 times now!!!

tribpot Thu 31-Dec-15 17:21:56

It's a lot of stitches to get inside one loop. I would do a magic circle, this is a big loop done in a special way that means you can tighten it up later. I had a look for a YouTube vid and I don't know if this is the exact same shawl, as she seems to be starting with 3 groups of 2 DC rather than 4, but I reckon this would work to get you going.

CallieTorres Thu 31-Dec-15 19:24:31

you're very kind tribot - thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now