Talk

Advanced search

weaving with a loom?

(10 Posts)
icclemunchy Mon 28-Dec-15 21:54:16

Does anyone do it? Is it hard? I quite fancy giving weaving my own blankets and maybe my own sling to carry DD in but can't seem to find much info on how to get started.

Would I be able to buy a loom and just give it a bash?!

Flossyfloof Tue 29-Dec-15 07:23:12

Whereabouts are you?

icclemunchy Tue 29-Dec-15 11:18:14

West London/Middlesex but were right in the Bucks/Herts boarder

Feckthis Wed 30-Dec-15 00:00:16

eBay is good for smaller looms. I have a rigid heddle loom but I have t used it yet...

Flossyfloof Wed 30-Dec-15 11:33:55

Weaversmith in Loughbrough has done some workshops which have been very highly praised. It would be worth going to one of her workshops if you were closer! They have been very highly praised, I am aiming to do one next year.

lavendersun Wed 30-Dec-15 11:50:36

Yes, I do. You can just buy a loom and get going. I love mine. Wingham Wool works and Spin wise are excellent places to buy from.

The Kromski harp is an excellent loom, slightly cheaper than an Ashford and has a magnetic pawl/ratchet system which means that it folds and unfolds nicely.

I bought a few books when I started, this is one of my favourites

www.stitchcraftcreate.co.uk/the-weaver-s-idea-book?utm_source=ProductSearch&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=ProductSearch&gclid=COaG1czAg8oCFQ_gGwodAFkJgw#.VoPDQa_fWrU

I wouldn't pay for a class personally, it could be ⅓ of the cost of your loom.

The Weavers guild has groups everywhere, I have never been but there are monthly gatherings all over the place.

www.wsd.org.uk/guilds-map.php

You can do fabulous things with a simple rigid heddle loom, once you get going you can add a second heddle.

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 30-Dec-15 11:55:52

I managed to get a dryad floor loom of a local auction quite cheap. It is big but because it is upright does not take up much space.

lavendersun Wed 30-Dec-15 11:59:55

This guy has some informative videos on you tube - I remember watching them before I bought a loom.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRTN_OTX-YQ

icclemunchy Wed 30-Dec-15 17:41:25

Fab thanks everyone, is there a market for 2nd hand looms? Before I buy a new one grin

lavendersun Thu 31-Dec-15 12:33:00

Not much iccle, I think that the Weavers Guild might include a sales page (can't remember now).

Before I bought one I phoned the local guild just for advice really - they invited me along to a meeting (which I didn't go to). You could try that, or e-mail them and ask if they know of anyone who would like to sell one.

They do come up on eBay, not that frequently though, the bigger looms seem to some up more often than the rigid heddle looms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now