Talk

Advanced search

Any painters here?

(9 Posts)
Dorsetmama Tue 22-Dec-15 20:42:20

Its a new found hobby of mine. I don't know if im any good, but i do enjoy it
I was wondering are there any good books anyone can recommend for tips for beginners? Im mostly interested in Acrylic but id like to try oils, also i quite like Contè crayon.
Also any tips on decent quality supplies that dont necessarily break the bank?

Feckthis Wed 30-Dec-15 00:03:30

The range are great for paints. The works for cheap brushes. And canvases. I have a book called the art of colour mixing that great. Also, craftsy.com is good for tutorials but you have to pay shock

FantasticButtocks Wed 30-Dec-15 00:07:54

There are lots of painting tutorials on YouTube. Lots.

horseygeorgie Wed 30-Dec-15 00:25:34

Oh I'm in a similar boat, I've just discovered after 20 years of thinking I was horrific and avoiding it I'm fairly good at drawing and have taked up watercolours. I'd recommend getting a basic drawing book and have a look online. There are some very good tutorials. I'd say not to waste money on cheap paints and paper but get yourself to a good art suppliers. And practice!

finalfive Thu 31-Dec-15 08:36:18

The Galeria range of acrylic paints seem good quality (I tried some cheap paint from the Works but they were rubbish). It's more satisfying and the results are better with quality paints. I actually found them cheapest in my local stationers.
I've found canvases from the Works are OK to start off with but the ones from Hobby craft are not much more expensive but seem better quality.
Go for it! I took up painting about a year ago and love it.

Dorsetmama Thu 31-Dec-15 22:34:32

What do you all do with your pictures after?

Thanks for all the tips!

horseygeorgie Sat 02-Jan-16 21:24:53

I stash everything away in a corner as I'm not entirely convinced I possess any talent! Does anyone here do oils? My Aunt is a fairly successful artist and exhibits and I love them but am very daunted!

Dorsetmama Sun 03-Jan-16 07:17:58

Im giving oils a go. Have not used them yet though.

finalfive Fri 08-Jan-16 07:02:16

My DH persuaded me to put a couple of my paintings up around the house, which actually get some nice comments from visitors, so very encouraging. The rest are piled up in the corner, although I do paint over any if I think they're rubbish or if I need a canvas! Canvas boards take up much less room...
Good luck with the oils - let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now