Talk

Advanced search

yarn crafters please help

(15 Posts)
BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:41:06

I'm making a blanket for mum's 60th.
I'm using five different colours of yarn and seven different stitches (5 knit and 2 crochet).

I can't decide which order to put the different pattern squares in - each knit square will be followed by alternating design crochet squares.

I have garter stitch squares, stocking stitch squares, and then what I call a chess board design, 'fish scale' square and a kind of lace design (apologies don't know the proper names).

Any input will be appreciated, pics attached (apologies not finished or blocked yet)

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:41:54

And the rest

aseaandthreestars Wed 16-Dec-15 10:46:47

Can't help with the design idea, it's not my strong point, but just wanted to say how lovely your stitches are. No help at all there, sorry grin

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:47:00

Each knit square to have this crochet square between it plus a standard granny (I'm up to pic limit)

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:47:39

Thanks aseasmile

aseaandthreestars Wed 16-Dec-15 10:48:27

What colours have you used?

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 10:54:34

That pale blue, a darker blue, pale pink, dark pink and a variegated yarn with all those colours in to tie it together. Specifically to match decor (not my kind of colours at all!)

All in Patons Smoothie dk

PeaceOfWildThings Wed 16-Dec-15 11:00:55

I would go with 'selective randomised'* colour throughout, and diagonal rows of the stitches. So decide on an order for the stitches first, then use a clean bed or large floor/table to lie them all out in the order of the stich pattern, mixing up the colours as you go.

*Balance (by swapping) each half/quadrant/row and column of squares for light/dark; warm/cold tones.

DoreenLethal Wed 16-Dec-15 11:03:48

Depends - do you like patterns or random?

Can you lay it out on the table and have a play?

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 11:36:17

It's super king sized so I'd have to use my bedroom floor I think.

I do like patterns so stitches diagonally might be an idea, thanks

PeaceOfWildThings Wed 16-Dec-15 14:31:32

You could do stitches diagonally one way and colours diagonally the other, but if one gets out of place it will ruin it for you! That's why I prefer to just have one pattern to stick to, that I can correct as I go along/at the end of each row.

BishopBrennansArse Wed 16-Dec-15 14:38:23

All ideas to ponder, thank you. Will post a pic when done wink

PeaceOfWildThings Wed 16-Dec-15 14:47:10

Great!

aseaandthreestars Wed 16-Dec-15 17:39:00

What Peace said. <waits nicely for photos>

BishopBrennansArse Thu 17-Dec-15 10:03:12

It'll be a while! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now