Talk

Advanced search

Sewing a temporary hem onto a nativity costume.

(6 Posts)
TheOddity Fri 11-Dec-15 20:34:12

I have thankfully been given the Angel costume from the school and all I have to do is shorten the bottom hem of the gown and the sleeves.

My question is for all you much more experienced sewers, would you hand stitch, machine stitch or use the wundaweb stuff to put in place a hem that will need to come out again afterwards for a potentially taller Angel in the future?! I obviously can't cut off the excess so do I just roll it all under or am I better to do the hem really high up and just folded once? The bottom hem is about five inches too long! The fabric is silver and quite stiff and thick.

Any advice/tips appreciated!

CMOTDibbler Fri 11-Dec-15 20:36:06

I'd hand sew, folded once, with quit big slip stitches to make it easy to take down again

Allalonenow Fri 11-Dec-15 20:39:20

Three deep tucks, just above the hem, hand sewn.

Maryz Fri 11-Dec-15 20:47:40

I'd use sellotape blush - that way next year's angel won't have to unpick and resew.

TheOddity Fri 11-Dec-15 20:53:03

This fabric is not sellotape friendly! I'm not sure it would like the iron on stuff either as it has a slightly metallic feel to it actually (probably a plastic).

I'm favouring the three deep tucks option, assuming you mean folding the material in on itself rather than a concertina effect at the bottom hem? I guess a deep he, without folds though would be the easiest for the next mum and probably less likely to damage though. Hmm.

TheOddity Fri 11-Dec-15 21:18:53

Thanks CMOTDibbler. Just googled slip stitch and one fold should be enough if the whole thing is invisible. Great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now