Talk

Advanced search

Sewing silk

(3 Posts)
neverputasockinatoaster Fri 11-Dec-15 17:13:10

I have some very gorgeous sari offcuts and am planning on making a couple of reversible scarves.

i was planning the process in my head (I have to do this to get myslef to start stuff.....) and suddenly realised I have absolutely no idea what stitich size to use on my machine.

I usually use quite a small stitch but mostly use cotton material. Should I use a larger stitich on silk?

lavendersun Sat 12-Dec-15 05:47:51

You need a short stitch for silk, 2mm is good. Do you mean joining two pieces together and then turning the right way?

I did just this, with sari off cuts too and I just hand rolled the hem so only one piece though.

If your machine slips a sandwich of tissue paper, tearing it off after sewing works well.

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 18-Dec-15 11:03:01

Gosh! I totally forgot I posted this!
Thank you lavender. I will use a short stitch. I knew about the tissue paper.
I'm kind of doing a patchwork effect. The pieces are quite small, about A4 in size so I will end up joining about 12 in total, 6 for each side.

I'm doing it this afternoon once the kidlets have finished being creative for their gifts for family. I need the dining room table and currently it is covered in paint!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now